Raising a single duckling

Emmytheduckgirl

Songster
Aug 1, 2019
Hello BYC! I am 3 days in on my incubation and I’m preparing for what is to come with my one duckling. He or she is supposed to hatch on Christmas! I know it’s only one duckling so I would love some happy good postive advice for what I should do to keep him or her happy when she or he will come! I understand that raising one duckling is hard and they get sad but I will be spending pretty much all my day with him or her! Can’t wait to hear some tips!

Rolled up hand towels and the like will provide comfort and a way to maintain heat when young, since it won't have flockmates to cuddle with. Also, will help to keep it from wandering too far from the heat plate. Thick is good - thin dish towels, less so (but make easy to wash flooring).

Be sure the floor of your brooder box has some traction, not slick plastic. Though its easy to clean, its very hard on the knees, hips, ankles as they are developing to not have a good surface on which to stand.

Don't forget your niacin booster - you want it on hand before your new duckling hatches.

Back
Top Bottom