raising baby chicks

jburts

Songster
8 Years
Oct 13, 2014
just a question, the last time I had chicks, and intergrated them with my big chicks, it was warmer year, in March and april, this year the chicks came early at the last week in feb or so, and it was too cold to be in garage, it was getting down to mid 20's at night and under 40 during the day, now they are 6 weeks old this week, and moved them to garage now from basement,
they got out once in their kennel outside but the last few days very wind and the wind is cold, day time temps 50 -60 but wind chill under that, today more sun but only 53 degrees and for tonight and tomorrow night time temps down to 30, and then towards the end of week goes back up to 60 day and 40 at night, my question is can they handle the cold wind?
thanks
Julanne

When you move your chicks to the coop they should be six to eight weeks old. Outside it should be fifty to seventy degrees outside. I hope that answers your question let me know if you need more info.

I think I can offer a little advice, although I live in MN so it will be different weather-I was able to keep my chicks in the garage in March, and all the chicks did fine for the first week, but for whatever reason, the second week, all of them became very exhausted, and always laying down when I would check on them. I did a little research and one website suggested that it might be to cold where they are. I know you shouldn’t do this because of the diseases chickens carry, but I put them down in my basement with a heating pad underneath the brooder and a heat source blowing towards the brooder. 3 days later, all of them were walking around and peeping like they should. Then, they are 3 1/2 weeks old, and the only thing that isn’t feathered is their head. I put them back in the garage with cold air and wind coming through, but I kept the heating pad and blowing warm air with the brooder. Now, they are 5 weeks old and still happy as can be. The weather the last 3-4 nights has been in the 10-20 degrees temperature, and all of them have done fine. One thing I changed was that I have 2 buff orpingtons that are slow developers, so I made a makeshift brooder for them still in my basement because they are the same size as when they were chicks. They haven’t feathered at all, and the other chicks peck on them. Chickens are very durable once their chests, wings and tails feather in. I hope this helps!!!

When you move your chicks to the coop they should be six to eight weeks old. Outside it should be fifty to seventy degrees outside. I hope that answers your question let me know if you need more info.
yes that is helpful, they were in basement now this weekend moved to garage can
't move them out side just yet need to slowly get older chickens used to them I usually put them outside in back yard with older ones with little ones in kennel, I do this for several days and as they get bigger let them out with big chickens for several days or weeks and as soon as they get big enough to defend themselves they go in with big chickens. but I got them earlier so the weather won't be 60 all the time and will get to 70 in the middle of april, so it is the wind chill factor I'm worried about.

I think I can offer a little advice, although I live in MN so it will be different weather-I was able to keep my chicks in the garage in March, and all the chicks did fine for the first week, but for whatever reason, the second week, all of them became very exhausted, and always laying down when I would check on them. I did a little research and one website suggested that it might be to cold where they are. I know you shouldn’t do this because of the diseases chickens carry, but I put them down in my basement with a heating pad underneath the brooder and a heat source blowing towards the brooder. 3 days later, all of them were walking around and peeping like they should. Then, they are 3 1/2 weeks old, and the only thing that isn’t feathered is their head. I put them back in the garage with cold air and wind coming through, but I kept the heating pad and blowing warm air with the brooder. Now, they are 5 weeks old and still happy as can be. The weather the last 3-4 nights has been in the 10-20 degrees temperature, and all of them have done fine. One thing I changed was that I have 2 buff orpingtons that are slow developers, so I made a makeshift brooder for them still in my basement because they are the same size as when they were chicks. They haven’t feathered at all, and the other chicks peck on them. Chickens are very durable once their chests, wings and tails feather in. I hope this helps!!!
thanks mine I had to put them in basement this year cause it was too cold even with heat lamp in garage, but this weekend it was warm enough to transfer them to garage, they are happy now it is time to get them outside to start meeting big chickens, it is just the wind has been blowing hard and cold, it is supposed to get warmer soon, but rain to later this week, bummer, maybe too hurried about them getting intergrated. in the middle of april it will be close to 70 so the wind will be warmer,

Back
Top Bottom