Raising Canadian Geese in Canada?

Well its the same for both the US and Canada since we both signed the Migratory Bird ACT that protects them. So, no, its not legal unless you're permitted or acquire proper fostering licensing through your local provinces wildlife department etc

Last edited:
Well its the same for both the US and Canada since we both signed the Migratory Bird ACT that protects than so no its not legal unless you're permitted or acquire proper fostering licensing through your local provinces wildlife department etc

The Migratory Birds Convention Act of 1994, correct? Thank you so much for actual information! It's frustrating when ya can't get a straight answer. Local Fish & Wildlife wasn't much help other than a fascination about warning me about not hunting out of season. (I don't hunt, lol) Do you know if that's the most up to date legislation? If I'm reading correctly, I'm good to propagate! I just like being REAL sure. Any idea on legalities regarding cross breeds?

This is what @AJKinville was referring to. This is what you are referencing, which states in section 5(a) that you are not allowed to possess migratory birds, "Except as authorized by regulations," which I think is what everyone is trying to tell you here. There may be regulations that allow you to possess migratory birds, but you need to be permitted to do so by your regulating agency in Alberta or, more likely, at the federal level.

If you somehow managed to get one of your domestic geese knocked up by a wild goose, the resulting birds would be hybrids and would not be covered by either of these regulations. However, you would not be allowed to hold that wild bird in confinement while you tried to make this happen.

The reason you can't get a straight answer is because we don't work for the Canadian government. So we are trying to tell you that you need to talk to someone of that authority if you want to be an exception to the rule. It's not a common practice to take birds from the wild and keep/breed them in captivity (see links above) so there isn't exactly a straightforward way to accomplish this.

The reason you can't get a straight answer is because we don't work for the Canadian government. So we are trying to tell you that you need to talk to someone of that authority if you want to be an exception to the rule. It's not a common practice to take birds from the wild and keep/breed them in captivity (see links above) so there isn't exactly a straightforward way to accomplish this.

The Migratory bird act was actually pretty straightforward and found by someone who doesn't work for the Canadian Government. Some of the prohibitions don't apply to me so its ok. Thanks for your input

I get what your both saying. The population has exploded so you will run into new regulation regarding hunting really. I was saying both our countries agreed to hold citizens liable if interfering with such wildlife and you maybe right your laws maybe different but you should really make some calls to the upper management parts of you wildlife departments or a department that deals with the upholding of the migratory bird act. Someone more versed and familiar than the local level. I read they had been introduced to areas they'd never been and now its caused them to explode in population and become invasive and a large flock can truly do damage so they have increased hunting permits. But creating a hybrid would've been done by now if it could've been, or at least you'd think. All I know is don't capture a bird that's been ringed you could be interfering with someone's research of that bird.

Back
Top Bottom