Raising Chickens to Hens for the first time! (Maryland)

I notice that all the chicks are around the edges; it appears to be too warm in there?!
I like the heat lamp to be at one end of the rectangular brooder, so there's a warm and a cool area. Try that, and then maybe raise the lamp a few inches too. Check your thermometer; it should be about 85F to 90F right under the lamp, and much cooler at the other end of the brooder.
Why a heating pad too?
Mary

I notice that all the chicks are around the edges; it appears to be too warm in there?!
I like the heat lamp to be at one end of the rectangular brooder, so there's a warm and a cool area. Try that, and then maybe raise the lamp a few inches too. Check your thermometer; it should be about 85F to 90F right under the lamp, and much cooler at the other end of the brooder.
Why a heating pad too?
Mary
Actually the picture doesn't show the size of the brooder well, it is big enough from front to back that the babies can get away from the heat quite well if they want. The heating pad is because this time year it is cool in the laundry room and according to the thermometer I put right in front it was still around 70 deg right below the heat. Also I can shut the heat bulb off when they get bigger and effectively let them get used to lower temps. The babies tend to sleep under and on the heating pad.
I guess my point is that different people have different set ups and still manage to successfully raise chicks.

according to the thermometer I put right in front it was still around 70 deg right below the heat.
Was the thermometer in the brooder right under the heat lamp?
Or was the temp 70F outside the brooder?
70F ambient temp is nothing for 2wo chicks when they can warm up under an MPH.

Would be more concerned about good ventilation in that brooder.

Glass brooder, heating pad AND heat lamp with towels on top to keep the heat in?? That’s way too much heat! I’m sorry to be so blunt, but those chicks won’t last long pre-cooked.
if I had them in a heated room I would agree..(it's an unheated laundry room, it usually stays 50ish deg) ... but this brooder has been in service for almost every month out of the last year with chicks in it most of that time, they do well and because it is so big they have no trouble getting away from the heat when they choose.... the far corner runs closer to 60 deg.

Was the thermometer in the brooder right under the heat lamp?
Or was the temp 70F outside the brooder?
70F ambient temp is nothing for 2wo chicks when they can warm up under an MPH.

Would be more concerned about good ventilation in that brooder.
The top does not close tight and is made of hardware cloth so ventilation has never been a concern.
20171202_134144.jpg
this is where the babies will be housed by 4 weeks old..... it is outside in a lean-too. The last batch I did this way did very well, feathered out fast and they are still growing well.
I never stated that my way should be everyone's way I simply stated what I do.
edited to fix spelling

Last edited:
I think I am anxious and trying to get started to early. In Maryland I need to wait till late April to get my chicks. So at 4 weeks in Summer weather there is not problem taking them out to the coop here. I just want to get going when i need to wait.

I think I am anxious and trying to get started to early. In Maryland I need to wait till late April to get my chicks. So at 4 weeks in Summer weather there is not problem taking them out to the coop here. I just want to get going when i need to wait.
with chickens as will most things patience is the key...... but that doesn't make waiting any easier. lol

Back
Top Bottom