Raising chicks in shed - need heat source

Chickengirl209

Songster
May 30, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Hey all,
I am getting 25 chicks tomorrow and need to finalize what type of heat source I'm going to use. Any ideas? The chicks will be in an uninsulated/unheated shed. The lows have been in the 20 degrees.
I'm not sure about using a heat lamp, but I'm not so sure I want to drop the money for the heating plate either, and the plate sounds like it might not keep them warm enough.
Thanks!

I don't know how big that heat plate is or if it gives a number of how many chicks it can handle. If it does give a number they are most likely talking about day old chicks. They will grow really fast. Some heat plate work in pretty cold temperatures, some don't. I don't know how that specific heat plate handles cold. At this stage I'd be really nervous about using it in those temperatures for 25 chicks.

Heat lamps aren't always real easy to set up either but they can often handle several chicks. I consider the clamp that comes with them to be a danger, don't use it around chicks or chickens. Securely hold the lamp in place with wire or chain so it cannot fall or be moved. I don't know what that shed looks like but I'd probably position that lamp so it is heating a corner.

Do you have a dog crate or a large tub for them? You could wrap the dog crate in cardboard boxes and put one inside the crate they will huddle together for warmth. Plenty of bedding/shavings will help also. Like Ridgerunner says, hang a light above the crate or tub so that it is secure.

Hey all,
I am getting 25 chicks tomorrow and need to finalize what type of heat source I'm going to use. Any ideas? The chicks will be in an uninsulated/unheated shed. The lows have been in the 20 degrees.
I'm not sure about using a heat lamp, but I'm not so sure I want to drop the money for the heating plate either, and the plate sounds like it might not keep them warm enough.
Thanks!
Inside is best. Your chick's need to be at 95 degrees. No heat source will warm your shed to 95 degrees.

Maybe I could wrap the crate in cardboard (except for the top) and hang a heat lamp directly over the cage, that way the heat will go in more directly?
Also, I saw this. Maybe the heating pad huddle idea + heat light would do the trick?

Hey all,
Thanks!
I'm brooding outside in a dog crate, with a Momma Heating Pad. Chicks are two weeks old, no issues even though it has been dropping into the 20s at night.

This is the post that inspired me to make a MHP: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...der-picture-heavy-update.956958/post-15192097
IMG_20230307_172820897~2.jpg
IMG_20230228_204459424.jpg

IMG_20230313_173241883.jpg

Last edited:
I'm brooding outside in a dog crate, with a Momma Heating Pad. Chicks are two weeks old, no issues even though it has been dropping into the 20s at night.
I agree, Blooie's heating pad cave is a great method, including outdoors in cold weather. How well do you think the OP's 25 chicks would do in that set-up? The 25 chicks is why I didn't mention it. I'm not talking about the dog crate, OP will use a shed which should be a lot bigger. The question is how many chicks can the heating pad cave handle, especially in a few weeks. after they grow.

Back
Top Bottom