1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising chicks in southern nevada

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tthekraut, Aug 12, 2016.

1. tthekraut

tthekraut Just Hatched

Aug 3, 2016
    Hello, new to posting.we live in the las Vegas area of southern Nevada where it is really hot this time of year.

We were wondering if it will really be necessary for a heat lamp to run while we are at work? I was thinking of leaving the chicks in the garage where it is typically pretty warm or closing a vent and leaving them in the house.

I had some buildings burn down at my old place and am pretty scared of any fire hazard.

Thanks in advance and take care!!

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    As long as the temp is around the 90's you should be fine with out a heat lamp during the day. Out in the garage will be fine. Not sure you want the house that warm.

3. tthekraut

tthekraut Just Hatched

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks for the reply,the garage gas a window so if it got to hot I could leave it slowly open to keep temps from the crazy hot temps we have been getting.

I looked up similar questions but every year has slightly different weather. I bought a heat light anyways for the evening when we are home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by