Raising Chukar

LavvyTaffy

In Too Deep...
7 Years
Mar 13, 2017
Genesee County, NY
Well, I did it again... I let someone talk me into taking home more birds. This time it's Chukar! This'll be my first time raising them so any help is very much appreciated.
What I've learned so far:
1. They'll kill (and cannibalize) if they feel like it.
2. They can't be raised on the ground because of bacteria they're susceptible to in the dirt.
3. They need space.

I'm only getting two so I hope they behave. Thanks in advance!

Following this. We accidentally have chukars and have already discovered they are cannibalistic jerks. I have the on the ground, though. Ours are about 3 months old.

Well, I did it again... I let someone talk me into taking home more birds. This time it's Chukar! This'll be my first time raising them so any help is very much appreciated.
What I've learned so far:
1. They'll kill (and cannibalize) if they feel like it.
2. They can't be raised on the ground because of bacteria they're susceptible to in the dirt.
3. They need space.

I'm only getting two so I hope they behave. Thanks in advance!
That's interesting. When I first met my father-in-law, he had free range chukars that he'd been raising for a decade (the flock was a few generations in). Where did you read that?

That's interesting. When I first met my father-in-law, he had free range chukars that he'd been raising for a decade (the flock was a few generations in). Where did you read that?

Ours got out and we thought sure they were gone. Nope, they let us walk right up to them and pick them up. I figure when they dig out again they can just free range with the chickens.

My 4-H leader's been raising Chukar for a few years now and she said because we live in a northern climate there was some sort of parasite or bacteria (can't remember the name) in the dirt that'll make them sick. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom