Raising different breed chicks together

abanjaf

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Cocoa, Florida
I so appreciate all the helpful replies I received to my last post! Thank you all!!! The Brahma chick seems to be doing much better, only occasionally chirps and strains now (as opposed to that occuring during every defecation).

Since I am new to all of this, I have another dilemma on my hands. I thought I had done my research when placing my order of chicks. Apparently I had not done my job well enough!!! Among my order of chicks, I included Polish chicks, only to find out that they are not supposed to be housed with other breeds due to picking at the crests! Has anyone successfully had any crested breeds housed together with "regular" breeds? Or do I need to work on separate housing for them? I have a 15' X 10' chicken coop and plan on letting them roam the yard for a couple of hours each day. I planned on keeping 12 (4 of them being crested) of the chicks. Any suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Jessi

I have done it successfully for years. I currently have two polish in my flock of 30. No problems.
Overcrowding can lead to pecking among chickens so make sure they have plenty of wing room:lol:
I would pay attention during the molt with the new feathers on their top knot start to grow and make sure the other chickens don't peck at them.

Oh, thank goodness, I'm so glad to hear that:) We just spent so much time, effort, and money re-doing the coop (previous owners of our home had originally built it). Do you think that the coop is big enough to house 12 chickens? It's 15' X 10' and 7' tall. My husband has built many perches, roosting areas, etc. Thank you so much for your help!
Sincerely, Jessi

Plenty big, if they are to free range during the day. My coop houses 12 it is 8x4x7, and the birds free range all day. They are happy and healthy.

I have a couple polish in a large flock. My one polish is queen bee. She never gets picked on.. She is with 15 or 18 other standards. Also If your raising them together that should help too.

Back
Top Bottom