Raising Duckling Questions

3rdGenFarmer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 28, 2014
I currently am getting around 10 baby ducklings in the mail early May and got some Khaki Campbell, Rouens, and some flying mallard all female except for one male khaki. I plan on putting them in at night but letting them free range all day as i also have a pond. Was woundering if this is a good idea? and if anyone has any previous experiences with this kinds of ducks?

That's fine, but you are not going to want to free range them as ducklings. Way too many things can take off with a duckling.
They grow quick, but you'll want to be sure they have a safe place to grow to size.

Mine went out before they were full size, but only when I was with them.

3rdgen, you can train them too. Ducks are actually pretty smart. Mine associated their coop with food and began putting themselves to bed when they saw me if they were hungry. I started feeding once a day at night that way they were hungry and would eat, it worked well, I would give a small "snack" sometimes in the afternoon though.

@3rdGenFarmer you can unless you have a drake, then you would need to seperate when he reaches sexual maturity because he can rape your chickens to death. Raising them together works for some and not for others, you will need to monitor and ensure they aren't fighting and I'm not sure about feed. Personally I would keep seperate pens but I know of people who raise them together without issue.

Back
Top Bottom