Raising ducks after hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jaybee337, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Jaybee337

Jaybee337 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    New Iberia Louisiana
    I have been reading articles about care of ducks after they hatch. I have more questions than answers. I have a rather larger tuber ware container that I will mount a light in to house the chicks. How long do I house them in this? Can I feed them duck starter feed?
    I am welcoming any advice I am not picky. Thank you in advance.

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    You can treat them like chickens. They will grow fast. They can eat NON MEDICATED chick starter feed. They also need enough water
    to wash their faces, but don't let them get wet and cold. Ducks are messy and it may be a challenge.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    For a waterer, I recommend taking a milk or water jug, quart or gallon sized, and a few inches from the base, cut a small window. Large enough for a duck to stick their heads in and drink, but not large enough for them to get in. I set the jug inside of a pie tin to catch any dribbles, since they still do mess a bit with the water. They learn very quickly where the water is (though I still dip their bills for the first drink like I do for chicks, so they get the idea quicker).

You have to replace the water pretty often, I do so when I see it dirty. It isn't poo, since they can't get in, but they always seem to get it full of crumbles since I think ducks like their food moist (so they eat, and immediately drink, and thus backwash into the water, ick!).

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Give the ducklings extra niacin if you feed chick starter. After the first few days I set their water on a platform with a pan underneath, it really helps keep their brooder dry. I made the frame from 2 x 2 (make it just high enough to put pan underneath) and large enough for them to get on it, I also use a ramp because my pan is 1.5" high, I use plastic mesh . The babies have no trouble getting up there and it really helps with the mess.

5. Jaybee337

Jaybee337 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    New Iberia Louisiana
    I have two mallards at the moment. They are a little over a month old. I have a pool in their pin, but they don't ever get in it. Am I doing something wrong? I have a pan in there with water should I take that out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by