Raising Ducks and Chicks

pfost262

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 16, 2013
I just purchased 2 two week old Peking Ducks, and three week old chicks. Can I keep them in the same brooder box? I am brand new at ducks. Do they have to be separated? Anything else I should know starting out? Thanks!!

you can keep them together..and you don't have to separate the ducks..in fact if they grow up together they will be inseparable..they will stay together all the time.

welcome-byc.gif

Well, people can, BUT some concerns, one ducklings are wet and chicks don't usually appreciate being that way. Also ducklings grow quicker so they outsize spacing much sooner.

Later on there can be concerns with drakes attempting to breed with hens that can result in death. Have you seen the raising ducklings sticky?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

My plan was to raise ducklings and chicks together, but our two ducklings were just much too messy for our chicks. They were wet and poop so much more. They do grow much quicker and I worried about them hurting the chicks. Ducklings also have different nutritional requirements than chicks. They can develop leg problems if they don't get enough niacin. So for us it didn't work out having them together, but that isn't to say it couldn't be done. Congratulations on your new babies! They're so much fun.

I had the same situation. About 3-4 weeks ago we got 4 ducklings and 3 chicks. At the beginning they were all the same size :), a few weeks ago I separated them because the ducks quadrupled and their bin was always soaked and covered with poop. The chicks cried at first but as of recently I have made an outside "playpen" for them during the day so they are back together. They love it, I bring them in at night and they all cuddle up together, and now the chicks are big enough that I don't have to worry about the ducks completely running them over.

Back
Top Bottom