Raising ducks to be friendly- how to?

i have to diagree

if you have hand raised mallards from birth they end up being pretty needy, in my experience,

but x2 on the rest
If you hand raise anything it's going to be more cuddly. Especially if you're doing only 1-3. But mallards, tend to retain a bit more of the "wild" in them. They acted WAY different than other ducks when hearing ducks and geese....its not that it can't be done, just harder in mallards I think.

I disagree about ducks not needing your affection. I have 4 ducks and they will literally run up my 20 some odd outdoor steps to come be in my lap. They love me. They fall asleep with me and especially love when I pet their bills (funny right?). Even as full grown ducks they climb their way up my shirt and hang out on my shoulder like a parrot! They also respond to their names!! Ducks have real personalities amd they're very smart. I think that they can be taken for granted because not only are they good for the yard or the farm but they also make good pets if you love them and spend enough time with them.

Back
Top Bottom