raising fish for food? Update #109!!

Most of what ive seen is about cycling a new pond or new aquarium. My pond is 3 years old, so does it already have the whole nitrogen cycle running (when we filled it we used pond water), or if not would it be faster since it is a already established pond?

If your fowl have had no access to it, then sure. Since duck/goose poo is VERY high in all those things you do not want in a fishs' enviorment, like ammonia, and especially nitrates and nitrites. A small amount will again increase the cycling process, since the bacteria will have to convert it before any fish can be added without a high death rate. You don't have to use half a gallon every fifteen gallons, it's just something I felt comfortable with when I had the large tanks. 10 gallons pond water, some old leaves, and a water plant or two should be plenty for an 6-8 week cycling.

Quote:
If stocking density is kept low, then pump can be sized so water volume in tank is completely replaced once per hour. Most venders will have a graph with each type of pump indicating what volume can be moves per unit of head / height. Assume pond with its plumbing and filtration you are operating will be imposing a head will be about 6 feet.

To expidite biofilter function, you can innoculate it with a dirty aquarium filter from cycled aquarium. Ask for details if needed as it is surprisingly simple. Despite having the low end and high water quality test kits, we routinely start up systems and without monitor water quality in respect to ammonia and nitrites unless fish appear stressed. We add fish almost immediately and take care not to over feed. You will need to learn how to estimate vigor of fish in pond based on feeding activity.

Quote:
my birds don't have access to this pond, the only thing they have access to is the stock tank. Do you think I should fertilize the pond before I add the fish?

Quote:
my birds don't have access to this pond, the only thing they have access to is the stock tank. Do you think I should fertilize the pond before I add the fish?

Then it should be just fine. Once the pond is setup with the filter functional, some subrate, decor, and plants, it wouldn't hurt to add some droppings to feed the beneficial bacteria and start the process. It's unessacary to fertilise right before adding the fish, or when they're there.

We have a couple of those large (20 inch diameter) types of terracotta pots lying around so and I was thinking of using those instead of a plastic bucket. The pond is supposed to look pretty (or at least that was the plan when building it
hmm.png
) so a terracotta pot would be a bit more eye appealing than a plastic bucket on the side of it. I have 2 of these large pots that are not being used so do you think it would be worth it to incorporate both of them into a filter. I was thinking of having the first pot sitting on a stump and have the pump, pump water down through the pot, and then have it splash through the pot on the ground level, then back into the pond water. Am I over thinking this or is would using both pots be worth it?
I know ive already asked this question but it never really got answered, so does feeding natural food (such as minnows, duckweed, worms) improve the taste of the meat as opposed to feeding commercial feed?
I have finally found a local fish hatchery that sells types of fish other than bass and trout
smile.png
I plan on getting some bullhead, sunfish, perch and shiners from them. They also have crayfish available but ive heard that large crayfish eat small fish and big fish eat small crayfish, a loose loose situation
sad.png

Do you think if I only put a few crayfish in the pond it would work okay or is their no way
fl.gif

I think I am going to try blue tilapia but I am also still very interested in raising carp. They have such a bad rap but I assume much of that comes down to the water they live in. Does everyone run their aquaponics set up all year or summer only. If summer only, how are you getting enough grow out on your fish? From everything I have read, tilapia take 9 months of growth.

So finally after lots of planning and research we have gotten the fish in our aquaponics system
wee.gif

so here are some pictures (there are some more on my page)
This was what the pond was before
50920_dsc_0012.jpg

and then here it is now
50920_dscn8930.jpg

This is our grow bed for filtration (its a stock tank)
50920_dscn8960.jpg

and here are some of the tilapia (25 total, each 1 lb.)
50920_dscn8941.jpg

50920_dscn8951.jpg

Ive gotta thank you guys for answering all my many questions
big_smile.png
who would have thought you can learn so much about aquaponics on a chicken forum
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom