Raising friendly chicks to chickens (Am I doing this right?)

Your routine sounds fine, it's more time than I spend with chicks and I consider my flock tame enough. Some birds will never like being picked up but as long as they can tolerate handling that's enough for me.

What's your heat source? If using a heat lamp, what's the hot/cold temps inside the brooder? Pasty butt can sometimes be linked to too much heat, so something to consider if it persists as a problem.

You're going to get differing advice on this. I give them grit immediately as they will eat bedding, just a pinch every handful of days on their food. I do not give them unlimited access to it though, to prevent any gorging behavior. Once their older grit is offered free choice.
We’re using a heat plate with one side shorter than the other so that they can figure out which temps work best for them. The room temp ranges from 60°-70°. Do you think that’s causing pasty?

I put a small amount of grit in their feeder and shake it up so that it’s even distributed. Hopefully that works. I stopped for a day and I have a constipated chick so hopefully she didn’t eat anything bad.

We’re using a heat plate with one side shorter than the other so that they can figure out which temps work best for them. The room temp ranges from 60°-70°. Do you think that’s causing pasty?

I put a small amount of grit in their feeder and shake it up so that it’s even distributed. Hopefully that works. I stopped for a day and I have a constipated chick so hopefully she didn’t eat anything bad.
Temps sound good. 👍 With a heat plate and moderate room temperatures your risk of pasty butt should be minimized. Sometimes they get it from shipping stress as well, so as long as it seems to be under control I think you should see less of it as time goes on.

Grit doesn't have to be a daily thing. I don't have a set schedule for it, just a pinch every few days. They'll keep it in their gizzard to help grind down food and once it's too worn down to serve its purpose they'll pass it from their system.

Woo, okay perfect. Thank you I’ll try that! My easter egger started perching on me. I’m excited. :celebrate
I remember when one of mine was little she liked to perch on me, now whenever I'm in the coop and bend over she tries to jump on my back and will literally sit down and hang out there if I let her. She also will get up on the roost bar and try to get to my shoulder that way too. It's cool she's not aggressive about it, just friendly and wanting attention (except when she poops on me but I have a special jacket I wear now because of that). LOL. Most of the others will hop on my lap if I sit down. I spent a lot of time handling mine when they were little (rhode island red hens) and they are still super friendly and all want their share of attention every day. I would never do that if I planned on having a rooster with hens though. Some roosters can take that as you trying to steal their hens and it can also make some roosters not see you as the boss.

Back
Top Bottom