Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Does a guineas egg production pick up in the second year or are they like chickens and it tends to drop? I hatched out some in febuary of 2017 and when laying season came this year I got maybe 30 eggs from 3 females. (I don’t know if all three were laying or not) and no there were no hidden nests, they never left their run. I’m trying to decide if I want to keep them into the next laying season and see how it goes or just start over.
EE18E930-6AD3-4A65-82E8-D4FC4266D9FF.jpeg
206053A6-B3D0-44B2-926B-2047B0A9DFE5.jpeg
1C3C5B93-EC9D-4484-A2A0-0154489A6097.jpeg
577B8219-9ACC-4F03-846E-469E76A5DE9F.jpeg
169884A0-E0EF-4760-AA01-EAD2F2DEF4C0.jpeg
C17454C3-0369-4D85-A3D4-F2432166CDB8.jpeg

Does a guineas egg production pick up in the second year or are they like chickens and it tends to drop? I hatched out some in febuary of 2017 and when laying season came this year I got maybe 30 eggs from 3 females. (I don’t know if all three were laying or not) and no there were no hidden nests, they never left their run. I’m trying to decide if I want to keep them into the next laying season and see how it goes or just start over.
View attachment 1608090 View attachment 1608091 View attachment 1608092 View attachment 1608093 View attachment 1608094 View attachment 1608095
I did not notice any fewer eggs the second year of laying than I found the first year. I do notice that each year they start laying about a week later than the year before. Adding new hens each year keeps the start of egg production at the same time. As they get older egg production does decrease. My five year old hens did lay fewer eggs than they laid their first year.

View attachment 1608090 View attachment 1608091 View attachment 1608092 View attachment 1608093 View attachment 1608094 View attachment 1608095
Dan you take such lovely pictures... Those hens look awesome with their spots.... They are supposed to be great eating...

deb

Dan you take such lovely pictures... Those hens look awesome with their spots.... They are supposed to be great eating...

deb

Yes... beautiful photography! Just looking at people’s images, I like the pearls best. Maybe I’ll feel differently if I see the other varieties in person. Thanks for all the good advice, everyone. Ralphie, I’m sorry you had to give up your band of brigands. :confused: I loved all your humorous posts about them (and you almost talked me out of them a couple times lol). One thing I thank you for reminding me of is not to let your animals start thinking of you as one of them.... particularly with these girls, who aren’t getting any littler...
5ECD9F9B-E5AE-4AE4-BD11-2EB06AABACFF.jpeg

I especially liked your suggestion, Perchiegirl, about the poop hammocks. And your warning not to let the guineas think they’re chickens, R2Elk. Very helpful, and thanks to you all. If I do get guineas, I’ll come back here and show them off. :thumbsup

Yes... beautiful photography! Just looking at people’s images, I like the pearls best. Maybe I’ll feel differently if I see the other varieties in person. Thanks for all the good advice, everyone. Ralphie, I’m sorry you had to give up your band of brigands. :confused: I loved all your humorous posts about them (and you almost talked me out of them a couple times lol). One thing I thank you for reminding me of is not to let your animals start thinking of you as one of them.... particularly with these girls, who aren’t getting any littler... View attachment 1608389

I especially liked your suggestion, Perchiegirl, about the poop hammocks. And your warning not to let the guineas think they’re chickens, R2Elk. Very helpful, and thanks to you all. If I do get guineas, I’ll come back here and show them off. :thumbsup
I will trade you 3 guineas for each of those...

I did not notice any fewer eggs the second year of laying than I found the first year. I do notice that each year they start laying about a week later than the year before. Adding new hens each year keeps the start of egg production at the same time. As they get older egg production does decrease. My five year old hens did lay fewer eggs than they laid their first year.
I guess it can’t hurt to keep them for a few more months anyway. I probably will get a new batch going this year.

Yes... beautiful photography! Just looking at people’s images, I like the pearls best. Maybe I’ll feel differently if I see the other varieties in person. Thanks for all the good advice, everyone. Ralphie, I’m sorry you had to give up your band of brigands. :confused: I loved all your humorous posts about them (and you almost talked me out of them a couple times lol). One thing I thank you for reminding me of is not to let your animals start thinking of you as one of them.... particularly with these girls, who aren’t getting any littler... View attachment 1608389

Thanks. :)
The lavanders are pretty too, I had one, he was so gorgeous!
481A0C68-591A-4A7B-82B2-13B048530B57.jpeg

Long post LOL... Long answer... first of all Welcome To BYC... belated but :welcome From San Diego High desert.

Each situation is different Climate Predeators Availability of materials...

Both Chickens and Guineas are rodent getters... Where you see one mousie guaranteed there are five or ten more...

Twenty is a good number... Ten is the bare minimum I would go with... Guineas are not as domesticated as chickens... They have many of their original behaviors and qualities... Dont expect them to act like chickens. their wild qualities get them into trouble so having spares is an excellent idea.

they run along the perches chasing each other... Funner than heck to watch... I use Two by fours hung by v shaped bailing twine supports from the ceiling.. Yep they wiggle Dont seem to bother them... I put my chickens up at about five feet on solid non moving perches So they can get some exercise moving about the coop ... INtermediate perches Help the chickens get up. But Only a few use em to get down.

I set the Guinea perches at six feet and they shoot straight up... during their gymnastics...

Roosting in the cow barn is a great idea.... Poo can be handled by hanging catchers under the perches... Made of canvas or feed bags ... Id put em above the cows heads high enough so the cows cant mess with em...

Poop hammock can be made any way that is convenient... I have an unique setup for my coop The one below is much like I want to do for my own. Feed bags over closet dowls PVC wont work eventuallly bends.

the birds wont walk in them

b5d90e111d879e5356dc73c162d35b6e.jpg

hammocks are removable for dumping in the compost.

The concentrated pooping happens at night.
I like this one because it has some ends to keep the poo in when you remove it

Here animal enclosures have a different set of rules for permitts... But you can build a 12 x 12 shed without a permit providing its not plumbed or wired. There are ways around that of course. Non fixed on a foundation Is a great solution as well. Cattle panel coop has excellent snow load bearing capabilities Lots of tractors are made from cattle panel construction. Take a look at the coop page... Just be aware you may have to anchor it with wind anchors during storms or windy days.

answered above for both chickens and guineas.

I use dog kennel panels... Just remember it has to be predator proof Night time.... and Be dilligent on your routine for getting them to come in at night. Predator losses occure at night if they are allowed to roost in the trees. that goes for chickens as well.

Raising to gether is good... Chicken raised guineas tend to be calmer. One thing to remember As the Guineas mature and become Sexually mature they will start pairing up... The males will chase each other wings raise behind them showing off for the girls while the girls ignore them.... nice thing about having a flock is if there are more males than females the males will form a bachelor flock. All will care for each other during a threat.
During this first year is when they may get aggressive to the chickens... And when they attack they all attack they dont keep it one on one like Chickens do. The next year everyone is more relaxed with only a few scuffles

Probably I know they use something similar at the San Diego zoo...

Dont know.... have never used Deep litter. YOu might ask some questions on one of the deep litter threads.

I suspect the jumbos will be only marginally slower. If you look at em with out their feathers they are a very long legged bird.... explains why they can run so fast even though they look stumpy Football helmets in profile..... :gig

Dont think it will make a difference

Glad to put in some input.

deb
Glad that the poop hammocks worked for you. My Guineas got tangled in the swinging poop hammocks that I had, so I took them down and now just have deep-ish (about 4 inches) litter under them. The guinea litter stays nicer than the chickens’ litter, so I think that deep litter is at least as effective for Guineas as for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom