Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
I think the "small" large frame hen size work for them (good example is leghorn hen size).
My girls weigh maybe 3 pounds. Mine seem to "pair off" in small groups so I haven't had too many problems. I have 2 roos to 5 hens.
The boys do squabble a bit but grew up together.

So I'll do the same 10 inch elastic. I need to add lenght, though, because they are loooonger than the chooks. I think the longest one I've made was 9 inches. Is 10 inches too long, do you think. Hum. If I had an extra and thought I could get away with it, I'd have her try one on....

I will measure my pearl Quasey when I catch her next. She is the calmest.
Usually will come sit on my shoulder or lap if I have cracked corn or mealies.
Is it back/base of the neck to the start of the tail? can't remember now.

Yep, although I could go longer for some of my wyandottes, too. The rough spot on my guinea girl is close to the base of her tail feathers. Poor sweetie.

I recently adopted some guineas, an adult with three keets. I was unprepared for how small the keets are as the woman told me they weren't really small. As a result, I have to keep them in a certain section of my coop. The adult can fly in and out of the area which is fine. I had to catch the keets today as they escaped. As I did this, I noticed that one has a massive amount of fleas that seem to be attached to it's chin and brow area. They definitely look like fleas but look like they have attached like ticks. I usually treat the pen and all poultry with poultry dust when I introduce new birds but haven't had a chance yet, and I'm not sure if there is an age that it too young to treat them. Suggestions, advice?

The lavenders are gorgeous. My neighbor who owns the parents of my guineas just hatched out a random lavender in their last year babies. I'm so jealous. I think Im done with hatching guineas for right now though, I seem to have five male and five female that have paired off and just started mating and laying eggs. I so dont have room for more guineas right now as cute as they are as keets. They are like puppies, they start out little and cute but rapidly get bigger, louder and more challenging. As i write this tonight, I currently have one guinea missing and am worried sick. I think its a female but not 100% sure as two guineas lost thier legbands and cant tell which one is missing right yet..... Hope to shout that she doesnt come home with babies in a month. Gonna launch an all out search for her tomorrow, the weather here is miserable and they are like my kids. She has been gone for a full 24 hours to date. Wierd the male didn't stay with her.....crossing my fingers to fiind her though.

Back
Top Bottom