Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
I often tell my guineas and chickens that "we're eatin' their cousins!" Not only do they not care a bit, they fight to get a bite of the bones/scraps that we throw to the dogs! Rotten little cannibals, they are.....
yuckyuck.gif

I often tell my guineas and chickens that "we're eatin' their cousins!" Not only do they not care a bit, they fight to get a bite of the bones/scraps that we throw to the dogs! Rotten little cannibals, they are.....
I have heard that too about them liking to eat chicken. Sort of creepy if you think about it. But on that same note, i ran out of chick crumbles one day and had to cook scrambled eggs for my little guinea keets, Sorta the same idea. Chickens arent' too awful picky about what they eat i suppose, after all they slurp down worms, ugh
big_smile.png

Looking for some BTDT- guinea kids are coop trained. No run. I left them in their coop for eons after moving them from the brooder.

Had a few escapees; lost a few. :( The remaining 12 are free ranged all day and put themselves to bed.

We are changing coops. They could be moved into their new digs as soon as tomorrow night, even. They will have their own divided space like they do now.

My question is- will I need to leave them locked in for a few days or can I let them out and redirect them at bedtime? Maybe hang something shiny to entice them?

What kind of fight am I going to have on my hands? :D

Looking for some BTDT- guinea kids are coop trained. No run. I left them in their coop for eons after moving them from the brooder.

Had a few escapees; lost a few.
sad.png
The remaining 12 are free ranged all day and put themselves to bed.

We are changing coops. They could be moved into their new digs as soon as tomorrow night, even. They will have their own divided space like they do now.

My question is- will I need to leave them locked in for a few days or can I let them out and redirect them at bedtime? Maybe hang something shiny to entice them?

What kind of fight am I going to have on my hands?
big_smile.png
NO NO. Dont hang anything shiny. You'll scare them. They dobn't like change and are seriously wary of anything new. I spent a few days every day changing something around in my guineas mini red barn and they would stand in the doorway for five solid minutes just staring in to decide if it was safe. Even just a little thing like adding another armload of hay would throw of their "mojo". When I transitioned my keets, they stayed in the barn for about a week before going out to the pen. From there I had to make sure to go out and tuck them in. Most days they will find their way in to the little barn, I think because it has been so cold, but the one day I asumed they would go in and didn't go out til well after dark and dinner to lock up the pens, I fouind them huddled up in the middle of my lawn scared and lost. They are completely nightblind, and I think when they couldn't see anymore they just stopped where they were. I would have thought they roosted in a tree and almost stepped on them in the dark as i was shining the flashlight up in the trees. I doubt seriously that they would have made it to morning, for cold and predators combined. Long story short (too late for that) even after locking them in for a week to acclimate I still have to herd them in most nights. Yours could be smarter or more independant than mine, just be prepared and Ihave found with Guineas, and I guess chickens too 1. Never assume anything, and 2. They are really stubborn when they want to be. I am by no means an expert, this is my first flock of guineas, thankfully I have made enough friends here on the forum to guide me through, but I am writing from my own experiences with these wonderful strange birds. Good luck.

NO NO. Dont hang anything shiny. You'll scare them. They dobn't like change and are seriously wary of anything new. I spent a few days every day changing something around in my guineas mini red barn and they would stand in the doorway for five solid minutes just staring in to decide if it was  safe. Even just a little thing like adding another armload of hay would throw of their "mojo". When I transitioned my keets, they stayed in the barn for about a week before going out to the pen. From there I had to make sure to go out and tuck them in. Most days they will find their way in to the little barn, I think because it has been so cold, but the one day I asumed they would go in and didn't go out til well after dark and dinner to lock up the pens, I fouind them huddled up in the middle of my lawn scared and lost. They are completely nightblind, and I think when they couldn't see anymore they just stopped where they were. I would have thought they roosted in a tree and almost stepped on them in the dark as i was shining the flashlight up in the trees. I doubt seriously that they would have made it to morning, for cold and predators combined. Long story short (too late for that) even after locking them in for a week to acclimate I still have to herd them in most nights. Yours could be smarter or more independant than mine, just be prepared and Ihave found with Guineas, and I guess chickens too 1. Never assume anything, and 2. They are really stubborn when they want to be. I am by no means an expert, this is my first flock of guineas, thankfully I have  made enough friends here on the forum to guide me through, but I am writing from my own experiences with these wonderful strange birds. Good luck.

Interesting. I've read in numerous places that they like shiny things and mirrors. They do take longer to get to bed than the chickens, but they usually hop right up in there. It's going to be in the same general location. We'll see......

sad.png

big_smile.png
i have done this and yes, you have a fight on your hands. they are very territorial and 2 yrs later they still want their old coop. they do love looking at themself in the mirrors, it helps but you will need more then a few days of lock up, more like a few weeks. good luck

i have done this and yes, you have a fight on your hands. they are very territorial and 2 yrs later they still want their old coop. they do love looking at themself in the mirrors, it helps but you will need more then a few days of lock up, more like a few weeks. good luck 

Weeks again even though new coop is next to the old one?

sad.png

big_smile.png

Mine refuse to go in their coop anymore. You will scare them if you change it, they HATE change. Mine had a three day fit and stopped eating when I bought them a new feeding tray! I am currently getting ready to install a heat lamp to take the chill off because the buggers will not refuse to and completely eschew their coop.

Mine refuse to go in their coop anymore. You will scare them if you change it, they HATE change. Mine had a three day fit and stopped eating when I bought them a new feeding tray! I am currently getting ready to install a heat lamp to take the chill off because the buggers will not refuse to and completely eschew their coop.

We'll see. The switch will likely happen tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom