Raising Guineas with Ducks

Sfraker

Songster
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Western NC
I've read that guineas can be aggressive when adding birds to their flock. Also, I read that the best thing to do is add young guineas to an already established flock of ducks or birds.

So what I have done is this. I got my guineas at 6 weeks old and kept them in an extra large wire dog crate on top of my waist high duck coop. They spent 4 weeks in the crate so that both types of birds could get used to each other. Three weeks ago I opened the crate door. The guineas took a few days but they now travel my yard eating bugs and head back to the duck pen and their cage for their treats at night. Also, the only water source around is in the duck pen and in their cage so they come back for water.

At night we let the ducks out into the yard to graze while we are doing gardening, yard work, etc... I have noticed that the guineas are always in the middle of my duck flock. If something scares them they will fly and perch on top of the pen fencing. Then after a couple minutes they panic again and fly back to the duck flock. If the guineas are out wandering and we let the ducks out they will sprint like little road runners to be in the middle of the ducks. The ducks just continue looking for bugs and eating, both birds will simply reach right underneath each other or around each other for a choice morsel.

My guineas are 13 weeks old now. At what age should I worry about aggression? Or should it be a non-issue since the flocks both get along so well?

I've read that guineas can be aggressive when adding birds to their flock. Also, I read that the best thing to do is add young guineas to an already established flock of ducks or birds.

So what I have done is this. I got my guineas at 6 weeks old and kept them in an extra large wire dog crate on top of my waist high duck coop. They spent 4 weeks in the crate so that both types of birds could get used to each other. Three weeks ago I opened the crate door. The guineas took a few days but they now travel my yard eating bugs and head back to the duck pen and their cage for their treats at night. Also, the only water source around is in the duck pen and in their cage so they come back for water.

At night we let the ducks out into the yard to graze while we are doing gardening, yard work, etc... I have noticed that the guineas are always in the middle of my duck flock. If something scares them they will fly and perch on top of the pen fencing. Then after a couple minutes they panic again and fly back to the duck flock. If the guineas are out wandering and we let the ducks out they will sprint like little road runners to be in the middle of the ducks. The ducks just continue looking for bugs and eating, both birds will simply reach right underneath each other or around each other for a choice morsel.

My guineas are 13 weeks old now. At what age should I worry about aggression? Or should it be a non-issue since the flocks both get along so well?

The aggression will start next spring when mating season arrives. Guineas have different behaviors than do other birds. Their habit of pulling feathers really aggravates other poultry and they get away with it because they are very quick.

Many people are fooled by the fact that when they are young guineas can be raised with other poultry with no problems.

You do not say how many guineas that you have. If you have a large enough quantity of guineas and more hens or an equal amount of hens and males, you may not have problems in the future. If you have a large enough flock of guineas, they will take out their aggressions on each other instead of the other poultry.

Good luck.

I gave five guineas of undetermined gender. I have heard hen voices but I couldn't tell you how many

I also have five ducks. One drake and four hens.

If they don't fight yet then you have pretty good guineas. Mine got aggressive at about 2 months old. If you have five guineas then they will chase the ducks. But the only real problem is if you have four males. That doesn't sound likely though if they aren't fighting yet. It sounds like you have a lovely flock.

I got two ducks they are spitting a pen with our rabbits at the moment we put them out in the day and today we are putting the rabbits out with them this is temporary we are going to build them a cage they don't however live with our guineas the guineas free roam and go in at night but the ducks will start free-roaming too we are also getting more guineas we are down to 1 female 8 males and one female keet do I have to worry about them breeding

Back
Top Bottom