raising house sparrows

Thebirdwisperr

Chirping
7 Years
May 1, 2012
I have 3 baby house sparrows that were orphaned after their parents were killed. I was wondering how to take care of them. they are about 8 days old and I wanted to know what kind of food I need for them. Would chick starter work?
Thanks for all help!!

I have 3 baby house sparrows that were orphaned after their parents were killed. I was wondering how to take care of them. they are about 8 days old and I wanted to know what kind of food I need for them. Would chick starter work?
Thanks for all help!!

How do you know the parents were killed? Baby birds will act hungry and gape when there is any movement near the nest. Their little mouths will always pop open, waiting for something to eat. Did you just take them from the nest without watching them for many hours from a far distance, to make sure there is no adult activity around the nest?

And DO NOT give them chick starter. Sparrows are not chicks, they have different nutritional needs. Sparrows are insectivores. Their parents bring them only full insects. Obviously, as this is difficult to replicate without spending hours outside catching insects, you need to replicate an incredibly high protein diet for them that they will not choke on.

I've given this website to folks who have found Starlings before. Starlings and house sparrows are similar enough that they can be cared for in the same way. It also has a simple recipe for feeding them.

I know that the parents died for a fact because I watched our cat kill them. Thank you for the help, I'll be sure to get them some high protein food.

I know that the parents died for a fact because I watched our cat kill them. Thank you for the help, I'll be sure to get them some high protein food.

Time to make your cat an indoor cat. And no, it isn't cruel or 'mean' when you provide proper enrichment. Considering how many small animals cats kill every year, keeping a cat indoors is responsible cat keeping. You can build an outdoor cat run and shade area to limit your cat to a space outside, if you wish to allow your cat outside.

Our cat is a barn cat for a reason, she is a non-poison alternative to killing mice. I would shoot mice, but the darn things are pretty hard to find and the chickens also can't find 'em for some reason.

Our cat is a barn cat for a reason, she is a non-poison alternative to killing mice. I would shoot mice, but the darn things are pretty hard to find and the chickens also can't find 'em for some reason.

Not much a mouse killer when she targets birds ;)

At least house sparrows are an invasive species in the United States. But cats don't limit themselves to invasive species, they kill indiscriminately.

I know that, but where I live there are very few native birds
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom