Raising Jersey Bottle Calf?

The calf has scours this morning. Its yellow ( it has been since we got him) and very runny. I'm making blackberry root tea right now, along with ACV and electrolytes. I'll also give him some Dura-Pen antibiotics, is that okay?. We also have probiotic powder for our goats, is that okay for him?... Should I stop feeding milk until this clears up? Anything else to do?...

This could be a digestive upset, someone else fed him a hour early and without his normal goats milk, could that do it?
Scours is a horrible thing in calves. Even the most experienced person can loose a calf within days or hours. Most electrolytes should be given at a separate feeding than milk, it depends on which kind you are using. Best thing is to follow the directions on the electrolytes. Not knowing what is causing the scours and what his other symptoms are it is hard to give any advice. Most calves don't die from the scours but they die from dehydration that the scours cause. I wish you the best of luck.

Stallions and dairy bulls are not the same.  Properly trained and handled stallions are fine.  Dairy bulls are dangerous and unpredictable.  Jerseys are about the worst of the dairy breeds.  Doesn't matter how they are handled.
I know, I was just saying, and of course all animals are individuals, and it also depends on how they're raised of course.

The big Jersey dairy near me feeds their calves three quarts of milk 2X per day.  If the scours are from a digestive upset it should clear up promptly.  What is his temperature and how old is this calf? You can give some pepto bismol in his bottle.  How is he actiing?  Is he hungry?  Are his ears upright or are they drooping?

Do you know the age of the calves when they're fed that amount?. I don't think its a upset now because he's been scouring for a couple hours now. I haven't checked his temp yet but I'll do it once I get back to the barn. He should be about 9 days old, give or take a day. How much pepto would you recomend? We're not sure how much he weighs maybe 55-65, we're going to get a scale today. He's taking a little longer to get up and out of his stall but he still runs around and plays with the dog. Last time I fed him milk he was normal and ate it all, he didn't want the concoction I gave him but that's to be understood I think... His ears are upright and he seems okay, just tired.

Scours is a horrible thing in calves. Even the most experienced person can loose a calf within days or hours. Most electrolytes should be given at a separate feeding than milk, it depends on which kind you are using. Best thing is to follow the directions on the electrolytes. Not knowing what is causing the scours and what his other symptoms are it is hard to give any advice. Most calves don't die from the scours but they die from dehydration that the scours cause. I wish you the best of luck.

I know about feeding the electrolytes separately, for the moment I'm just using homemade stuff but I'll have my mother get some while she's in town, any brand you'd recommend???... He doesn't seem to be dehydrated yet, when I pull his skin it goes back to normal quickly...

Is there any chance this could be from our goats? They're all healthy as far as we can tell but is there anything he could've gotten from them? ( or the llama, or chickens) :(

What's his diet included recently? If the scouring is due to consuming a toxic or irritant plant then different treatment may be needed, i.e. one that begins with a short fast or a laxative, than if the scouring is due to disease or other factors.

What's his diet included recently? If the scouring is due to consuming a toxic or irritant plant then different treatment may be needed, i.e. one that begins with a short fast or a laxative, than if the scouring is due to disease or other factors.

He hasn't eaten much except for milk. He'll eat a blade of grass for a minute, not much else. He's refusing bottle now and he just pooped while he's lying down and it smells really bad, its never smelled like that before. And he doesn't want to get up... could it be Coccidiosis?

I know about feeding the electrolytes separately, for the moment I'm just using homemade stuff but I'll have my mother get some while she's in town, any brand you'd recommend???... He doesn't seem to be dehydrated yet, when I pull his skin it goes back to normal quickly...

Is there any chance this could be from our goats? They're all healthy as far as we can tell but is there anything he could've gotten from them? ( or the llama, or chickens) :(

There isn't any particular brand that I recommend. Most of them are almost if not exactly the same. That's good that he's not showing signs of dehydration. It's best to give him the electrolytes as a preventative.

I have have not heard of goat milk causing scouts usualy it helps.

Has anyone tried powdered gaterade or pedialyte in place of electrolytes?

I have used both when i haven't had electrolytes on hand (they both work well) but it's best to use the store bought electrolytes.

His temperature is 103.3, what should I do?

Normal temperature is 101 - 102. Since he has a slight temperature it's a good indication that it's not just from a stomach upset.

Since I'm not a medical perfessional I would call your vet (explain his symptoms) and see what the be course of treatment is. I would hate to recommend something that isn't going to help. Different areas are known for different causes of scouts etc. Most vets will answer questions over the phone but you might have to go to the office to get medications.

There isn't any particular brand that I recommend. Most of them are almost if not exactly the same. That's good that he's not showing signs of dehydration. It's best to give him the electrolytes as a preventative.

I have have not heard of goat milk causing scouts usualy it helps.
I have used both when i haven't had electrolytes on hand (they both work well) but it's best to use the store bought electrolytes.
Normal temperature is 101 - 102. Since he has a slight temperature it's a good indication that it's not just from a stomach upset.

Since I'm not a medical perfessional I would call your vet (explain his symptoms) and see what the be course of treatment is. I would hate to recommend something that isn't going to help. Different areas are known for different causes of scouts etc. Most vets will answer questions over the phone but you might have to go to the office to get medications.

I've given him the homemade stuff right now, and we'll have the stor bought stuff soon. But he doesn't want it, should we tube feed him the electrolytes and other stuff he won't eat? (We'll of course get some experienced help if we have to tube feed).

I don't think the goats milk would cause any problems, whole milk is so much better than replacer.

He's been averaging 101.9 so his temp isn't that high... We'll call a vet (though none of them a very knowledgeable with livestock) and see what they say, it certainly can't hurt. Thank you for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom