Raising Mealworms.

Quote:
i never thought i'd be growing meal worms and three species of feeder roaches... i might start growing wax worms for the leopard geckos, but i don't know if chickens can eat them too...

I am so happy I found you guys.
big_smile.png

Quote:
The beetles are the adults that lay the eggs which hatch into worms. They are more valuable for perpetuating the colony than they are as food for the chickens. Not all worms will survive to adulthood, even under natural conditions, so those that make it to adulthood are allowed to remain to complete the cycle.

PoultryParadise, I'm glad you found us too!
smile.png

No, they don't really smell bad at all. I keep them very dry though (and I live in a very dry environment). The only moisture they get is through the raw vegetables. I've smelled smelly colonies before and it usually happens when too much moisture gets into the colony through food that is too moist.

I through a carrot in there, chopped it in about 4 pieces. After 2 days it was shrivelled up to next to nothing. I really don't want smelly worms so can I just add carrots and when they are completely shriveled then add another for moisture?
I bought what I was told was 1000 but it seems more like 500. There are 4 that have just turned into pupa, so I am thinking of seperating them into a different container, and using the 3 container system. I have plastic shoe boxes I am using so I hope this will be o.k.
How many worms, should I have bought, or should buy, to achieve a small handfull of worms going out a few times a week. I am raising button quail in the house and also my ferret will be using them as supplements.

PoultryParadise, I wouldn't bother separating them (unless you're really bored), it won't help at all with standard mealworms since their cannibalism rate is so low (some of the larger species of mealworms are more cannibalistic than T. molitor and pupae need to be separated). If you look at the colony on my page you'll see a vigorous, healthy colony, one that is over 20 years old (that colony was split off another that was equally as old). I've never separated worms, pupae and beetles. Clearly, my colony doesn't suffer for it. I also try to keep some vegetable matter with moisture content remaining inside at all times, although they'll survive just fine if you forget for a few weeks (even months). Just monitor your colony, if it starts getting stinky, you've added too much moisture. You'll quickly see what they need. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom