Raising meat chicks in a tractor?

Whitney123

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Central Illinois
I have 50 freedom rangers set to arrive at the end of May. We're getting a new barn built and I planned to build their coop inside of that but it has been delayed. It was supposed to be built in January, then March, now April but I'm concerned it'll be delayed again. I thought about building a hoop coop for them but would that work with brand new chicks? I'm going to be using an ohio brooder. I suppose the hoop coop could have a plywood floor and the bottom could be wrapped in tarps?

Last edited:
If you are going to raise meat birds,,,, do skip the floor. Have a movable tractor with earth floor, or grass. Move often,,,,,, BECAUSE THE CHICKENS DO PROCESS A LOT OF FOOD.. translates to mucho poop.
In May the temps will be warm, so the chicks only need to be in a brooder short time,, You can have a warm source inside brooder,, that is inside tractor outdoors.
Have your hoop tractor covered with light tarp,, to protect from weather. Sides, or ends still open for ventilation.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

If you are going to raise meat birds,,,, do skip the floor. Have a movable tractor with earth floor, or grass. Move often,,,,,, BECAUSE THE CHICKENS DO PROCESS A LOT OF FOOD.. translates to mucho poop.
In May the temps will be warm, so the chicks only need to be in a brooder short time,, You can have a warm source inside brooder,, that is inside tractor outdoors.
Have your hoop tractor covered with light tarp,, to protect from weather. Sides, or ends still open for ventilation.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thanks! I was concerned about them being on grass right away but I could use cardboard for the first few days. I've never raised meat birds before so I don't want to mess it up!

I have my broilers(and layers for that matter) on grass from day one if they will tolerate the temperature. But I always give them an indoors and off-the-dirt area with a heat source as an option for at least the first 7-14days.

That being said, you are not describing a chicken tractor, you are describing a mobile brooder, which takes different considerations. Personally, I would not do it with plastic sheets or tarps. That is fine for post-brooder setup. Brooding is more touchy. The plastic sheet offers no protection from predators of course.

I have my broilers(and layers for that matter) on grass from day one if they will tolerate the temperature. But I always give them an indoors and off-the-dirt area with a heat source as an option for at least the first 7-14days.

That being said, you are not describing a chicken tractor, you are describing a mobile brooder, which takes different considerations. Personally, I would not do it with plastic sheets or tarps. That is fine for post-brooder setup. Brooding is more touchy. The plastic sheet offers no protection from predators of course.
I was going to build the hoop coop like I've read on here with cattle panels covered in hardware cloth. I was thinking of using the tarps to just keep the wind off of them. I was going to have their heat source inside the hoop coop. Other than canceling my order I'm not sure what else to do if my barn isn't ready in time. Half of the chicks are for family and I really don't want to waste their money (or mine! ) by improperly brooding the chicks. My layer coop is full so I can't brood the chicks in there.

I was going to build the hoop coop like I've read on here with cattle panels covered in hardware cloth. I was thinking of using the tarps to just keep the wind off of them. I was going to have their heat source inside the hoop coop. Other than canceling my order I'm not sure what else to do if my barn isn't ready in time. Half of the chicks are for family and I really don't want to waste their money (or mine! ) by improperly brooding the chicks. My layer coop is full so I can't brood the chicks in there.
How many is it? For years I brooded chicks indoors in a large storage tub and one of those larger metal tubs from tsc or the likes. It would be alot more reliable than outdoors. I'm not sure your climate but stormy weather of any sort isn't ideal for day old chicks to be out in even if they are under a tarp.

Two options as I see it:

1. Brood indoors for ~14days until you can turn them outside into whatever type of grow out situation they will be in.

Or

2. Build the tractor pen with the hardware cloth and the tarps, and also build a plywood box with a closed top and a pop door that you can run inside of the tractor with your heat source inside of to insulate them from potential winds/sideways-rains. And, for a week or two, you will need this box to generally contain them at night. If their space is too big, most meat breeds will not be terribly successful in finding their way back to a heat source once they've ventured too far away from it, especially in the first couple weeks.

How many is it? For years I brooded chicks indoors in a large storage tub and one of those larger metal tubs from tsc or the likes. It would be alot more reliable than outdoors. I'm not sure your climate but stormy weather of any sort isn't ideal for day old chicks to be out in even if they are under a tarp.

Two options as I see it:

1. Brood indoors for ~14days until you can turn them outside into whatever type of grow out situation they will be in.

Or

2. Build the tractor pen with the hardware cloth and the tarps, and also build a plywood box with a closed top and a pop door that you can run inside of the tractor with your heat source inside of to insulate them from potential winds/sideways-rains. And, for a week or two, you will need this box to generally contain them at night. If their space is too big, most meat breeds will not be terribly successful in finding their way back to a heat source once they've ventured too far away from it, especially in the first couple weeks.
It's 50 chicks. The closed in brooder box is a good idea. That may be the way I have to go. Hopefully the barn gets here on time and I don't have to worry about it. Thank you!

I was going to build the hoop coop like I've read on here with cattle panels covered in hardware cloth. I was thinking of using the tarps to just keep the wind off of them. I was going to have their heat source inside the hoop coop.
I've done something very similar, and it worked fine.
Mine were in a predator-proof pen outdoors, with tarps to keep out the weather, heat lamp in the corner of the pen, outdoor-rated extension cord for power. I left part of one side un-tarped for ventilation.

It sounds to me like your idea covers all the main points:
The chicks need protection from predators, and from weather (wind, rain, excessive heat).
They also need a source of heat, plus food & water.

Back
Top Bottom