Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
We had our first litter of rabbits about 5 weeks ago. That litter didn't open their eyes until they were more than 3 weeks old. We have a litter right now that's 2 weeks old, their eyes have been open for a couple days. Same breed of rabbit. Not sure what the difference is and why this new litter seems to be developing a lot faster than the first?

We had our first litter of rabbits about 5 weeks ago.  That litter didn't open their eyes until they were more than 3 weeks old.  We have a litter right now that's 2 weeks old, their eyes have been open for a couple days.  Same breed of rabbit.  Not sure what the difference is and why this new litter seems to be developing a lot faster than the first?

Same thing here. This litter quit using the nest box at 3 woods and started eating dry food and hay. I took out the nest box but left them with mom. They seem to be doing fine.

Like chicks, I let them tell me what they need. You don't want to know how fast I drop temps in brooders.

Maybe the weather (read temperature) is playing a role in the rabbits being out of the nest box early?

husband just got a surprise... been triing to bred our meat rabbits and to no avail today he gets home from work and looks in the bedding area and its full of fur and 4 live baby bunnies...guess he got one of them bred.lol

nayeli,if you don't mind me asking what state do you live in? And I have a new zealand white buck and doe and my doe is actually pregnant and on day 34 of pregnancy but I heard if the doe only as 2-3 kits inside her it can take well after the 32 days because it's only the 2 inside her and there getting a lot of food so they are pretty big and take longer to get out but she already has her nest made of course and ready to kindle anytime...I haven't read the whole thread so if you haven't gotten any rabbits yet good luck with what you get and I would recommend new zeland whites personally because there great meat rabbits and get up to 15 pounds(of course if you let them grow for a while)Here is my doe ''Sugar''And my buck ''Buck''.........can't wait to see Sugar's kits!!!

@chicken farmer I don't. I live in Arkansas. The weather here has been crazy lately. I do have rabbits. My NZ/Flemish doe has 10 day old kits (bred to a full black NZ).

I second the crazy weather I live in I'LL it has been almost 90 last week then cold and rainy all week .... I have some chickens that are ready to go out but I donKt want them to get chilled and die with all the rain.

Thought I'd share.
This is Louise. She is just over a year old, weighs 10.2 lbs, raised 9 healthy kits her last litter, and she is due on May 27th.
Unlike all my other Am Chins, Louise LOVES to chew holes in frozen water bottles. So, she gets her very own frozen ceramic floor tile every day about lunch time. Being pregnant and a good mom has its privileges. ;)

That sounds like a good meat rabbit NZ,flemish giant....do you have any pictures of the kits?
not yet but we think they are bigger for their age. I'll try to take some soon! They are 11 days old today and found 1 out of the nest box the other day and 2 today... I'm thinking of removing it soon.

Back
Top Bottom