Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
No, she didn't take so we bred her again to a different male, she accepted him immediately... Never figured Does would have THAT much of a preference but this one does, she will only allow one male to cover her successfully.. Her mother would allow anything with a thingy so the difference is kinda funny..

On a sad note... Our Brown Doe kitted last week, was finally was able to get an accurate count last night... She had 8.. One died early so that left her with 7 very fat active kits.. Went out this morning and four were dead!! We froze last night (first one in a couple weeks) and for whatever reason she had taken most of the bedding and fur out of the box... All 7 were exposed, three were still alive...barely...repacked the nesting box but I have little hope she wont go in and remove it again... I think she is not a very good winter Mother.
Went out earlier and she was in the box with them... Just went to check and she wasn't in their box so reached my hand in to check...the last three are dead.. this is her third litter and she has always done so well, raises very large broods.. But obviously she isn't a winter time momma.. she will be going up for sale soon. I need meat rabbits that can kit and raise a brood any time of year.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a Hoppy New Year!

Never had a mean Californian in the 10+ years I've raised them. Had a few mean Rex, didnt stay around long. My sisters had a lot of mean dwarfs.

Californians have a reputation for biting and aggressive behaviour.

Sorry I must have missed something. Where did that come from?

I think this is totally dependent on the breeder - their genetics and how they are bred. We currently raise Rex and AmChin (and have had NZ and Cals) and have never once had an aggressive one. That said, any form of aggression would result in a cull - that animal would never be bred. Breeders who breed nasty temperaments are not doing anything but perpetuating such problems.
So if a rabbit has a nasty temperament, I blame the breeder, not the rabbit.

I think this is totally dependent on the breeder - their genetics and how they are bred. We currently raise Rex and AmChin (and have had NZ and Cals) and have never once had an aggressive one. That said, any form of aggression would result in a cull - that animal would never be bred. Breeders who breed nasty temperaments are not doing anything but perpetuating such problems.
So if a rabbit has a nasty temperament, I blame the breeder, not the rabbit.

Agreed

Something Ive read and witnessed.

I have had cali's before and have only had 1 out of many that was mean. I don't know if it is always the breeder that is at fault but sometimes the animal itself. I definitely would not breed it if it was mean. The only one I had that was mean went into the freezer.

I have had cali's before and have only had 1 out of many that was mean. I don't know if it is always the breeder that is at fault but sometimes the animal itself. I definitely would not breed it if it was mean. The only one I had that was mean went into the freezer.

Same here.. I had one doe out of a litter a couple years ago that would growl at me whenever I opened her cage and she was only 6 weeks old! When she nipped my daughter she didn't last but a few more days... I was upset only because she was so pretty and would have thrown some beautiful kits but I wouldn't take any chance in breeding her.

Back
Top Bottom