Raising my first chicks and ducks.. please respond..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimjunki92, Apr 7, 2007.

1. kimjunki92

kimjunki92 New Egg

Apr 7, 2007
    I'm about to raise my first chicks and ducks..
    2 chicks and 2 ducks just like pets...
    One Rhode Island Red, One Aracauna(?)
    Two Peking ducks..

Couple of questions...
    1) can i use an ordinary light bulb as the heat source?
    2) Can I use hay as the flooring?
    3) Can I use a big cardboard box for the shelter?
    4) Can I raise two chicks and two ducks together?(I was informed that they should not but I would like them to...It would be a nice sight [​IMG]
    5) What should I feed them? (I have no feeding or drinking equipments..just dishes) I just dont get the 22% protein or 16% protein or whatever...

It's a lot of questions but I would really appreciate if you guys could answer me...thank you...

2. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:1) yes! Though some people suggest using red lights to discourage pecking. But with a small amount, I dont think it matters much, as they more than likely wont be overcrowded.
    2) I tried Timothy Hay (the kind Chinchillas and small animals eat) from Wal-Mart. They do peck it and try to eat it. I don't think it hurts much. Other people say a positive 'no.' Either way there may be a possibility of compaction.
    3) Yes. I used a big cardboard box to brood my 11 chicks. Turns out a 20 gallon long aquarium shrinks fast, lol.
    4) Never done it, but I hear ducks make quite a mess with splashing water everywhere. I want a few ducks, myself. I think that might make me happ(ier).
    5) Feed usually comes from farm supply stores. They come in different amounts of protein. You usually use a starter feed with 20%+ protein in it (it'll say on the bag) after the first hatch/arrive. The bag with lower amounts of protein are used after they're more fully grown.

Others may add or change things, but everyone knows something someone else doesn't or has more experience. But here's a start [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  3. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    1)yes
    2)yes
    3)yes
    4)yes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    You should NOT raise baby ducks with chicks because the ducks splash water everywhere when they eat and try to bathe in the waterer. The water gets the bedding wet and can lead to molding, which would be TOXIC to the chicks. Chicks shouldnt get wet! They dry slowly and their body temp could drop. Its just not a good idea. HOWEVER, you could take one good size box and put some chicken wire across the middle so the chicks and ducklings can see each other and talk to each other, but the ducks cant get the chicks feed and bedding all wet. That why they will know each other when you move them to the yard.

5. renae

renae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2007
    4H kids and mom is right....while it can be done and i did do it for about a week it didnt take me long to realize that it was just to hard if not almost impossible to keep the brooder dry for the chicks and have the ducks in there as well but not to worry about them getting along once you put them outside they should get along just fine .... mine are in the coop together for now and they get along great even though they werent raised in the same cage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by