Raising our New Zealand Meat Rabbits *Start to finish - Birth to processing* Possible Graphic pics*

That's so exciting! Our doe has done great with her first litter. 8 babies and all survived so far. They are 17 days old. Our 2nd doe is now 1 week post breeding. We will see if we are as successful.

Well the one that kindled 3 only ever has 3-4 kits. EVER. but I like that she only has that many because then I foster the ones that have to many with her which she absolutely loves to do! And she was also free so couldn't beat that! The one that had 5 she actually gave birth go 7 but 2 were stillborn. This is her 1st litter. Hopefully you'll have more babies soon!

That's a great plan. I'm always looking to soak up others knowledge. I tried to paste some pix of moving day (out of the nest box that is) I can't get my computer to cooperate. Will try again another time.

Well, I learned a very PAINFUL lesson today. I have been letting the momma doe out of her cage daily to get away from the kits. She jumped out today with one still attached to her. She acts like she can't wait to be away from them. (I don't blame her) The mistake I made was to take our other doe out at the same time. I was just sitting with her on my lap. Of course she jumped off and the fur began to fly. I've never seen anything like it. I have a huge backyard with what I thought was plenty of room for two adult rabbits. WRONG. The kicker is, they are sisters raised in the same cage for over 9 months without any major issues other than mounting for dominance. Neither wanted to go back in their cage. It took me a while to even be able to pick either one up. My daughter had to catch one after my several failed attempts. (scratches up my arm) The other doe (not momma) was almost inside the cage when I took one arm off her to do something and she took advantage and started wiggling like crazy. She got me on my chest, neck and chin. I'm gonna go to work tomorrow and have to come up with an interesting story. People already think I'm coo coo for raising chickens and rabbits let alone being beaten up by them
gig.gif

Well, I learned a very PAINFUL lesson today.  I have been letting the momma doe out of her cage daily to get away from the kits.  She jumped out today with one still attached to her.  She acts like she can't wait to be away from them. (I don't blame her)  The mistake I made was to take our other doe out at the same time.  I was just sitting with her on my lap.  Of course she jumped off and the fur began to fly.  I've never seen anything like it.  I have a huge backyard with what I thought was plenty of room for two adult rabbits.  WRONG.  The kicker is, they are sisters raised in the same cage for over 9 months without any major issues other than mounting for dominance.  Neither wanted to go back in their cage.  It took me a while to even be able to pick either one up.  My daughter had to catch one after my several failed attempts. (scratches up my arm) The other doe (not momma) was almost inside the cage when I took one arm off her to do something and she took advantage and started wiggling like crazy. She got me on my chest, neck and chin.  I'm gonna go to work tomorrow and have to come up with an interesting story.  People already think I'm coo coo for raising chickens and rabbits let alone being beaten up by them :gig

Oh man that's horrible! I haven't had that problem yet :fl. I have a bunch of scratches from processing rabbits over the weekend definitely not as bad as you got it though!

Looks like doe #2 is in labor. Today is day 28 so I put the nest box in. She didn't even give me time to put all the hay in her cage before she started going to work building. I left for a little bit and my husband said she had already pulled fur. She hasn't been eating much in the past day or so - everything else appears normal. She has very rapid breathing and is just laying on her tile in the cage.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom