Raising Quail in NY

Winter08

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
Queens, NY
Are there any limits or requirements for raising quail in NY? More specifically NYC/Long Island. I tried looking up info, but things are very vague.

Hi. I don't know about long island, but I do know that NYS as a whole requires you to have the "domestic gamebird breeders licence". It's $40 annually, and you need to tell the state how many quail you have in your possession AND how many you released.

I don't know about NYC laws, I only know about rural/ general NY laws.

I live in upstate NY and did the same digging you're doing right now last spring. As Bird Lover said if you're doing Bob's then you have to have a permit to buy them and a different to sell them. The B permit to buy is $40 and the A to sell I think is $200. Both are good for 5 years. If you go with coturnix you don't need a permit because they aren't considered wild.

I had the same problem here, Through some research, NYC allows chicken hens but does not mention coturnix quail. NYS considers game birds that are kept for meat and eggs as poultry, so you don't need a game bird license. I'm 99% sure that it is legal to keep coturnix in NYC.

I live in upstate NY and did the same digging you're doing right now last spring. As Bird Lover said if you're doing Bob's then you have to have a permit to buy them and a different to sell them. The B permit to buy is $40 and the A to sell I think is $200. Both are good for 5 years. If you go with coturnix you don't need a permit because they aren't considered wild.
I saw your YT channel and would like to ask a question to confirm with an expert. Do you think it is possible to be NPIP certified in a dense urban environment such as NYC?

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that you stated in another thread that you were not the channel.

Back
Top Bottom