Raising silkies for show :)

PaigeHgibson

Songster
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
VIRGINIA
jumpy.gif

My name is Paige i am new to BYC
on April 23rd i am getting my 1st batch of silkie chicks I had 2 pullets Stella and Luna when i was 12 but i lost those birds when a stray dog got my 2 pullets
its been about 4 years now and i am now showing my trumpeter pigeons all over VA and i would like to get into silkies again only this time for show
if anyone has any tips on showing silkies please let me know,
Thank you,
Paige

yippiechickie.gif

Hi Paige. Welcome to BYC!

The first thing I would reccommend is to come join the American Silkie Bantam Club. Here is there link http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/

Also
, since you want to breed them to show, your going to need a Standard. I have the APA Standard of Perfection but the ABA also has a Standard of Perfection.

Are you getting your chicks from a breeder or a hatchery? Hatchery birds are very poor examples of what the Silkie breed should look like.

I am getting my birds from a breeder Don Davis he has gorgous silkies 5 toes , beards , and very puffy , i dont know much about the standard but i guess like with the pigeons i will hav to learn as i go
smile.png

i love how docile the roosters seem to ,

im starting of with 5 babies and then keeping my best babies ,

I am thinking about buying a breeder pair of white silkies from him

Don't let the whites have too much sun or yellow corn--both cause miscoloured feathers--particularly on the hackles. Avoid feed with marigold extract--it dyes the feathers yellow.

It is easier to keep them clean than to get a stained and dirty bird clean. Since the breeder raises birds that you like the quality and appearance of, ask him for advice.

Back
Top Bottom