raising silky chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by animal_lover03, Sep 4, 2009.

1. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    We have 2 silky chicks and one of them has just started to crow. Originally we thought they were both girls but now i think its a boy and a girl. Since silkys are good mothers i was hopeing that mabey later on i could breed them. I was wondering if i could raise the eggs the old fasioned way (we dont have an incubator**)I was wondering if i should just let her sit on the eggs till they hatch and then turn on a heat lamp when they are hatched. do you think anyone would be willing to buy silky chicks anyway?

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    As far as I'm concerned, the old-fashioned way is the most reliable way to hatch eggs. You just can't tell the hen when to go broody. But your silkie should be as close as any chicken to going broody on demand...

I'm sure you'll be able to sell as many chicks as you can produce. Or at least as many as you can part with...

You have pics of your birds? I'd like to see! I just hatched out two new silkie chicks last night. Well, I didn't, but my bantam cochin did.

3. Laurie's Silkies

Laurie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Montgomery, MN
    This morning I went out to the coop to let the silkies out, and one of the cockerals was making his first attempt at a crow,LOL. sounded like a squeaky board. They can't wait to get let out in the morning !!!! I'm purchasing an incubator over the winter, and plan to use it in march to start hatching my girls eggs. I will sell a few babies and Keep the best for myself. Looking forward to an exciting spring with my silkies, LOL.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Silkies are the BEST broodies ever. You just can't force them... when they are ready to broody, they just WILL!

I have hatched dozens of eggs with my silkies... not just their own either... they've even hatched AND raised baby ducks.

Have faith in your silkies... they will be excellent mamas.

[​IMG]

5. Laurie's Silkies

Laurie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Montgomery, MN
    I'm sure a few will come into the world the old fashioned way too. It is such fun to watch mom with the babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by