Raising The Best Egg Layers!

Kristian

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Miami, Florida
Where should you buy your chicks or fertille eggs (is shipping a good idea)?

In your opinion what breed of chicks is best to have for egg production (brown/white)?

Should you buy fertille eggs or chicks (and if chicks at what age)?

What is the best feed for your chicks throughout their life?

How much time and what temp. Should a heat lamp give(and untill what age in the chicks life)?

Is a rooster needed or prefered to help the hens produce eggs?

Is free range raised chicks better egg producers?

What is the key factors in producing the best egg layers?

Where should you buy your chicks or fertille eggs (is shipping a good idea)? I would start with either your feed store or a hatchery.

In your opinion what breed of chicks is best to have for egg production (brown/white)? For brown I like the red stars(red sex link), white (leghorns)

Should you buy fertille eggs or chicks (and if chicks at what age)? If you are used to hatching you do the fertiile eggs but if you want hens go to a hatchery. I like meyers because its close, cheap chicks that are really nice and great customer service,

What is the best feed for your chicks throughout their life? I feed chick food to what ever stage they are in, I give snacks such as veggies and fruit(no potatoes)

How much time and what temp. Should a heat lamp give(and untill what age in the chicks life)?I start with 95 degrees the weekly take it dow 10 degrees til they feather out.

Is a rooster needed or prefered to help the hens produce eggs? Only if you want to hatch chicks

Is free range raised chicks better egg producers? I believe they are happier versus caged chickens

What is the key factors in producing the best egg layers? A happy chicken!, good nutrition, good clean shelter and pleanty of room in a pen to explore the outdooors and some buddies for company.

Last edited:
Where should you buy your chicks or fertille eggs (is shipping a good idea)? Depends. It is easier to buy around you, but sometimes what you want or sexing on chicks is not available. Shipping is usually the easiest way to get chicks, hatchery/feedstore. Fertile eggs would be best if they are your own or from someone near by, but quite a few hatching eggs are sold too.

In your opinion what breed of chicks is best to have for egg production (brown/white)? I only have brown layers.

Should you buy fertille eggs or chicks (and if chicks at what age)? This depends, if you feel ready (if its your first time) to hatch and want to then do that. For most people just starting chicks are best to start with.

What is the best feed for your chicks throughout their life? This depends, there is only one brand at the store we go to. Price may be an issue for some people. Everyone has different scraps they feed chickens as well.

How much time and what temp. Should a heat lamp give(and untill what age in the chicks life)? If you get them when its colder out, they need to be in a warm place longer. If your temps are around 70 7-8 weeks of heat lamp is needed.

Is a rooster needed or prefered to help the hens produce eggs? No, only if you want fertile eggs.

Is free range raised chicks better egg producers? Better quality, not necessarily better producers/same.

What is the key factors in producing the best egg layers? Have feed with the correct nutrition for egg production, make sure the hens get everything they need nutritional wise and are healthy and not stressed.

Back
Top Bottom