Rambunctious chicks around pipping eggs

ACGM

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
It looks like the remainder of my chicks have pipped and are trying to hatch. I had six out of eleven hatch yesterday (day 20, two pipped on day 19) and they are very wild in the incubator. I am worried about one of the chicks that is trying to hatch. It has half way “unzipped” the egg but has not made any progress in several hours and I’m wondering/afraid it’s stuck, if not dead. I am not able to get a clear picture of it because of all the other chicks running around and was wondering, now that the remaining chicks have pipped, can I remove the hatched chicks so I can better assess the one I’m worried about? Or should I stick to lockdown until tomorrow and hope for the best in regards to the other chick?

They say it can take them up to 24 hours to unzip once you see the external pip, but you can hear their cheep and wouldn't worry unless it starts to sound week, mine was worried it had externally pipped while I was sleeping and it went fast, opening that incubator is the worst thing you can do as they will loose that extra humidity that helps soften the egg shell for them, if you must open be prepared and quick. and if ya can take incubator in the bathroom and turn on shower for fast humidity raise while you do it.

Last edited:
They say it can take them up to 24 hours to unzip once you see the external pipp, but you can hear their cheap and wouldn't worry unless it starts to sound week, mine was worried it had externally pipped while I was sleeping and it went fast, opening that incubator is the worst thing you can do as they will loose that extra humidity that helps soften the egg shell for them, if you must open be prepared and quick. and if ya can take incubator in the bathroom and turn on shower for fast humidity raise while you do it

I can’t even see its beak, just it’s body. The other chicks are chirping so much I wouldn’t know if it was getting weak. I’m just especially worried because I haven’t seen any progress since about 2 this afternoon.

Sometimes it's sooner than that, this morning 3 hours later I had to assist one hatching, sometimes they go to sleep for a bit but then come back and your like wow that was fast

Sometimes it's sooner than that, this morning 3 hours later I had to assist one hatching, sometimes they go to sleep for a bit but then come back and your like wow that was fast

Ok, I will wait for the other chicks and if I don’t see any progress by morning, I’ll figure out what to do then. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom