ramp too steep?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JahDW, Jul 24, 2011.

1. JahDW

JahDW Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    hi all,

I just built my coop last week and moved my birds outside. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

It's got a ramp from the ground floor to the roost area:

[​IMG]

Over the past few days I've noticed that they seem to be able to come down the ramp, but never go back up. Is my ramp too steep? Are my 7 week old birds too young to know to go up to roost? Is there a way i can teach them?

2. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    My chickens were as dumb as a box of rocks at 7 weeks and I am guessing yours are too. I cant tell for sure how 'steep' the ramp is but my guess is they will figure it out over time. Mine took a while to figure out how to go back up the ramp as well and I am sure yours will figure it out too. Best of luck.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I read here somewhere to keep ramps under 45 degrees...I've also read that ramps aren't necessary, so take it for what it's worth...

4. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I think the biggest thing I've noticed with ramps is that they need traction.... other then that, they're pretty agile little suckers.

5. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    My birds walk up and down their ramp, which isn't as steep as yours, but they also jump to the top of it to walk in. I'm pretty sure your chickens will be able to get up the ramp when they want to. You can put them upstairs at night if you like to get them used to going to bed.

6. RickMcD

RickMcD New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    HI! I am very new to all of this & in the building stage. QUESTION: How wide do I make the ramp? I have lumber, but it may be too narrow? Thanks!

7. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Quote:My ramp is made from a 2X6, they don't have any problem.

8. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Is it possible they like it better downstairs, looks a lot cooler and better ventilated downstairs.

9. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Quote:Good point. It looks like you can add some ventilation fairly easily

10. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Quote:Hi Rick... Welcome! [​IMG]
    I have 2 pieces of decking side-by-side, held together by the rungs, so it's a total of about 7" wide. Works great.

JahDW: Welcome to you to!!! [​IMG]

I originally thought mine was too steep, too. I see you have a 4x4 at the bottom... so did I. So I set the bottom of the ramp up onto the 4x4. It doesn't change it a lot, but I thought it helped. You might also try putting the rungs closer together if you think that might help. A lot of the time mine will just flap their wings a bit and jump 2/3 of the way up. It's the chicken elevator! [​IMG] I think it's harder for them to walk down than up, they do a sort of a slip-n-slide down it.

There are pictures on my BYC page if you'd like to take a look.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by