Ramp?

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
I looked and looked, but couldn't find an answer to this question, maybe it doesn't matter, but the ramp part that you all have coming out of the opening to the run or yard, is there specifications on that? I mean I'm trying to build one for mine and it seems awfully steep, does this matter? And also, those ladder things on the ramp, is there a measurement for placing these? Thanks for any replies!

Whoops, I should have been more clear, I'm talking about from the opening of the coop to the run, that ramp. Thanks!

Well, depending on you exact setup, you can do a few different things. The chicken-sized door that leads to MY run is about 6-8" from the ground. What I did was just stick a cinder block in front of the door as a step so the chickies could hop up and down; and they do it just fine. However, this wouldn't work for very young (still fluffy) chicks.

The ramp you make doesn't have to be fancy at all. Just measure from where the bottom of your chicken-door is to where on the ground you want the other end of the ramp to be. You need an old peice of plyboard that long and about the same width as your door. Then just nail, glue or screw some pieces of wood about 1-2" wide x 1/2" tall to the ramp. They should be about the length of the width of your ramp and be spaced about 4" apart.

TheChickens167.jpg

I winged it and it's working out well.....they all use it with no problem....rungs are about 5 inches or so apart.....I went with a slightly longer ramp to cut down on the angle a bit......

Thanks for the info hypno and Mr. D. I built yesterday and I think it looks ok, but after seeing yours, Mr. D. I think mine is too steep. But I think I can angle it lower, my rungs are about 3" apart and they are 1" square, I think I'll just let them decide if I did alright!

Lunachick we made our chicken door and ramp the same thing. We still need to put the pieces of wood across the ramp for traction, but here is a picture of what ours looks like. Nothing fancy, but it's functional. We have a hook attached to the end of the ramp and the eye at the top of the ramp opening to secure the ramp/door at night or whenever we need to put the chickens up.

Chickenramp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom