ran out of duck food until tomorrow- what can I substitute?

lilmama

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Ran out of duck food last night, the feed store is closed today and I thought my duck hens would eat laying krackettes (chicken food.) They are not going for it - they want their all-purpose pellets!!! What can I do in meantime? I had no idea they were such fickle eaters!! Anything I can give them that they would like that is somewhat nutritional and will get them thru until tomorrow?
Thanks,

peas..shredded broccoli stems...spinach...scratch...It's just for a day so some of thier favorite things for a day they will love!

thanks. they did just stat eating a little of the feed. I'll also try some of the things you mentioned. Thank you so much.
big_smile.png

If they get hungry enough, they'll eat the laying pellets. It's what mine eat full-time, in addition to their free range forage. I wouldn't stress about it for a single day--they can go much longer than that without food, though they may slow down on laying as a result for a few days. I'm sure they'll appreciate any treats you send their way, though.
smile.png

Ducks are suspicious of any changes. It usually takes them a bit to accept a new food. If that's what there is to eat, they will eat it. If they are leaving it, they aren't hungry.

If you've got corn meal and can bake them a pan of corn bread, they'd love that.

A couple of slices of bread for one day won't kill them. A whole grain multi-grain bread would be the best, if that is available.

Back
Top Bottom