ran out of duck food until tomorrow- what can I substitute?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lilmama, Jul 31, 2011.

1. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Ran out of duck food last night, the feed store is closed today and I thought my duck hens would eat laying krackettes (chicken food.) They are not going for it - they want their all-purpose pellets!!! What can I do in meantime? I had no idea they were such fickle eaters!! Anything I can give them that they would like that is somewhat nutritional and will get them thru until tomorrow?
    Thanks,

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest corn meal. It is not ideal for a steady diet but it will work in an emergency.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    peas..shredded broccoli stems...spinach...scratch...It's just for a day so some of thier favorite things for a day they will love!

4. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    thanks. they did just stat eating a little of the feed. I'll also try some of the things you mentioned. Thank you so much.
    [​IMG]

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If they get hungry enough, they'll eat the laying pellets. It's what mine eat full-time, in addition to their free range forage. I wouldn't stress about it for a single day--they can go much longer than that without food, though they may slow down on laying as a result for a few days. I'm sure they'll appreciate any treats you send their way, though. [​IMG]

6. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    I ran out once and I chopped up kale and threw in a little corn and rolled oats. Not ideal I'm sure but they ate it up and survived [​IMG]

7. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

when i run out i just feed mine tomatoes and lettuce

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Ducks are suspicious of any changes. It usually takes them a bit to accept a new food. If that's what there is to eat, they will eat it. If they are leaving it, they aren't hungry.

If you've got corn meal and can bake them a pan of corn bread, they'd love that.

A couple of slices of bread for one day won't kill them. A whole grain multi-grain bread would be the best, if that is available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by