Ran out of medicated feed for my 4-5 week chicks...what else can I feed them.

binza1979

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Utah
I have babies in the brooder that range between 4 and 5 weeks and I ran out of medicated starter. I really don't want to worry about going to the feed store to pick up more chick feed. Can I just grind up the same feed that I feed my big girls? I have a 19% protein 4-grain feed. I mix in calcium for my laying girls.

Thanks for your advice!

If that 4 grain, 19% protein feed doesn't have 4 or 5 % calcium in it, I'd say it would likely be quite nice.

If you tire of grinding feed fine enough for chicks, and you find yourself out and about and near the feed store, then you can get some starter/grower at your convenience, if you wish. Supplying the chicks some fine grit might also be in order.

Yes.
You can also give them some cooked rice or pasta, with no salt added.

So too much calcium is bad for babies?
OH yes. A mature laying hen spits out a lot of calcium with each egg she lays. Layer feed isn't magic. It's pretty normal feed with one big exception; it's laced with high amounts (about 3X) of dietary calcium. Layer feed isn't necessary for a laying flock, as many keepers just supply a calcium source, like oyster shells, on the side and only hens that crave it normally consume it. Layer formula just includes the calcium, making life somewhat easier for the hen keeper.

A "pre laying" pullet should not indulge in high calcium layer feed. The poultry studies are available for reading on the web. The results of eating a high calcium diet in a developing pullet is potentially damaging because it is very, very hard on their urinary tract, including the kidneys. It is hard for a pre-laying bird to expel all the unwanted and unneeded calcium.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help. I was by the feed store yesterday and picked up enough feed to last until they are in the big girl coop.

Back
Top Bottom