1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ran over my incubator recently....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NellaBean, Oct 8, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    ....seriously...

I was a slacker the last batch of chicks hatching, and it was pretty darn gross inside. I finally just brought it outside, dumped it out into the trashcan and then sprayed it down to let it sit and soak a bit. Then it was about to rain and getting dark, so I moved it into the carport so it would not get rained on. Had it between the cars to stay dry. Then I did not have time to mess with it before leaving so moved it to the side, just underneath the truck so I could walk through there and use the other car.

Out of sight, out of mind.....

Then we had torrential rains and some minor flooding and I needed to drive the truck so I wouldn't float away. Hopped in and started er up, pulled forward and....

....ran over a big lump?

I was thinking DARN IT, I think I ran over a chicken! Got out to look and there was my sad little styrofoam LG in pieces.

Lots of pieces.

And I had just finally gotten the temp setting perfect and had a fantastic last hatch.

Le sigh. If nothing else, it's not every day you can say you accidently ran over your incubator.

Guess that is a good way of making sure I don't hatch any more this winter [​IMG]

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

OH, that's a total bummer!!!!

I feel ya on the lazy part though... I get the same way... then frantically clean & disinfect a week before using. Since I have one for incubating and one for hatching, it really does allow me to get lazy with it. It's only been a couple of times, but I really gotta break that habit myself.

No better reason to get a better bator [​IMG]

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Time for that sweet brinsea model then.

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    It's a sign that you should upgrade [​IMG] Soon...

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    You could always build one [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Save all of your parts!... If they're not damaged... Then build a real nice one! [​IMG]

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Well, when I say I ran it over with my truck, I mean with my Quad cab 4 wheel drive huge Dodge Ram.

So yes, it was not salvagable. I almost needed to sweep up the pieces [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by