1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Random banty

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WVfirefly, May 27, 2017.

1. WVfirefly

WVfirefly Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    I had a single hatch so sent my daughter out to get some companion chicks from rural king. One was a feather footed bantam. I thought it was either a black Cochin or barred rock but it has white feathers on the wings. The white feathers are white, the black ones are black and none are striped. 10 days old now.

Attached Files:

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Oh my gosh!! So cute.
    It is a bantam black Cochin. They look all penguin like until they grow a lot. They will loose the white feathers....in time.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Barred rocks don't have feathered legs. It could be black or mottled. I had two that started it like that. One ended up black, the other mottled.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think black Cochin.

5. WVfirefly

WVfirefly Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    I hope so. And from what I have read on black Cochin, the l shaped wing start can indicate it's a little roo. He is a snuggle bug and I expect he'll be major pet material. Thanks! I have all girls so far, but 17 rumpless auracana eggs in the incubator that I am seriously excited about. Double tufted roo over clean face hens to watch against the double tufted gene. I am not counting on more than half hatch as it is but if I get 3-4 girls I'll be pleased.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Much too young, at this age I would say yes, it is a chicken.

7. WVfirefly

WVfirefly Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    I think you may be right, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by