1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Random Broody Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SheeReno, Nov 28, 2009.

1. SheeReno

SheeReno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    None of ours are laying yet, which is fine, but we're trying to be prepared with all the knowledge we can. So far, so good. I did have one random thought. If a hen goes broody and I break it, will she ever go broody again? I ask because I think I won't want babies one time but maybe later down the road.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yep. She'll do it again....and again...and again!

3. SheeReno

SheeReno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hahaha cool good to know. Thanks!

4. Cypress Hen House

Cypress Hen House Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Another random broody question...

I don't think any of mine have gone broody - and they are all 8 months old and we have a rooster - I can probably find the answer by reading more, but do they go broody later, or is this normal?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Good luck breaking her if she does. I did not have the time or patience so I let her have 4 eggs and two hatched out last week and I tell you it is the neatest experience!! It was our first time and I was worried. But Mama does a great job with them.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Depends on what breed they are. Some breeds (like Silkies and Cochins) brood more often than others (like Leghorns and Barred Rocks).

7. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    are they from a hatchery? ive seen and heard that hatchery hens have been bred to no go broody...[​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by