random egg appeared

It could be possible that one of your hens laid two. Because of the fast egg production, its also possible the egg didnt get coated with the other layer of color. Being on the floor could also explain a fast and premature production. Maybe she didnt have time to wait to lay while the nesting box was occupied. Does the white egg seem smaller or thinner than normal? Cracking may give you an easier answer to that question.

Could you please take a photo of it next tot he others if I'm not too late in asking. It could be interesting.

Sometimes a hen can release two yolks in a day. If she releases then at the same time you might get a double yolked egg. If they are released at different times you can get two eggs in a day. Sounds like that might have happened.

A hen typically makes a limited amount of brown pigment to color an egg. If she uses it all on her her first egg she might not have any left for the second. The same type of thing could happen to shell material. The shell on the second egg might be pretty thin if she doesn't have much left. Sometimes the second egg can even be soft, just a membrane with no shell. Does not sound like that happened with yours as it has a shell.

The typical sequence is that the egg spends a lot of time in the shell gland putting that shell on, many hours. But the brown color is only put on after the shell is finished, during the last half hour in the shell gland. So if the egg is laid a little early it could look pretty white.

When you crack those eggs look on the inside of the shell after removing that membrane. You will see that a blue egg is blue throughout but a brown egg is white inside. That means it had to be a brown egg laying hen that laid that white egg. If a blue egg laying hen had laid the egg it would have been blue. I don't know why that specific egg was white, maybe laid early or maybe she was out of pigment, but it was laid by a brown egg laying hen.

Could you please take a photo of it next tot he others if I'm not too late in asking. It could be interesting.

Sometimes a hen can release two yolks in a day. If she releases then at the same time you might get a double yolked egg. If they are released at different times you can get two eggs in a day. Sounds like that might have happened.

A hen typically makes a limited amount of brown pigment to color an egg. If she uses it all on her her first egg she might not have any left for the second. The same type of thing could happen to shell material. The shell on the second egg might be pretty thin if she doesn't have much left. Sometimes the second egg can even be soft, just a membrane with no shell. Does not sound like that happened with yours as it has a shell.

The typical sequence is that the egg spends a lot of time in the shell gland putting that shell on, many hours. But the brown color is only put on after the shell is finished, during the last half hour in the shell gland. So if the egg is laid a little early it could look pretty white.

When you crack those eggs look on the inside of the shell after removing that membrane. You will see that a blue egg is blue throughout but a brown egg is white inside. That means it had to be a brown egg laying hen that laid that white egg. If a blue egg laying hen had laid the egg it would have been blue. I don't know why that specific egg was white, maybe laid early or maybe she was out of pigment, but it was laid by a brown egg laying hen.
Not necessary. Some of my EEs have a blue base shell color, but some of my EEs have the white base color too. It could've been one of the EEs, not only a brown egg layer.

i will try to get a photo this afternoon...the stranger part is the egg is in the coop not the nesting box where the other eggs were
An egg in the coop floor isn't necessary strange. My hens often knock eggs out of a nesting box since they all prefer the same one or two boxes between them. Once or twice a week i will find an egg in the floor under the nesting boxes. They do alot of kicking in there to get comfortable. I need to make the lips on the nesting boxes a little taller i suppose.

An egg in the coop floor isn't necessary strange. My hens often knock eggs out of a nesting box since they all prefer the same one or two boxes between them. Once or twice a week i will find an egg in the floor under the nesting boxes. They do alot of kicking in there to get comfortable. I need to make the lips on the nesting boxes a little taller i suppose.
Ive seen my buff orps lay white-ish eggs. Do your brown layers lay lighter or darker eggs?

Back
Top Bottom