Random, non-urgent chick behavior question....

kemclaughlin

Songster
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Garden City, ID
I have a barred rock that's about three weeks old. She hides the smaller chicks from me when I hover over the brooder. She spreads out her wings and pulls them in. They will run behind her now too. Is this normal? Is it a sign she will be more broody than normal? Like I said, not at all urgent, I am more just curious.

It could mean she may have some brooding instinct and make a great mom when shes older, or it may not. When I've had smaller chicks with bigger chicks they've always tended to hide under them or behind them. I'd guess thats probably instinct as well...like, hey this bigger chicken is supposed to keep us safe. But, I don't have a chicken brain so I really can't say why the crazy things do the crazy things they do :p

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that is instinctual. The smaller chicks will try and get underneath the biggest of the pack, and each other to hide or even just to huddle. It's like a rugby game and I find it amusing as well. Chicks will do that until they are used to you being around. They eventually figure out you are the one who supplies all the goodies they get. Just a phase.

If the older chick was not there they would hide in a corner and everyone tries to get under each other. No panics. Just takes time. Of course like us humans we instinctively talk to the chick as we feed and water. Voices help calm them down as well. They get used to it..... Have fun watching their little habits... Steve

Well luckily in my experience when my hen was first hatching chicks she was already very used to me and friendly. Her chicks also got used to little routines and would run to the door when it was feeding time. They loved sleeping under and on top of her back, sometimes she would walk and there'd be sitting in her back. But while she was lying on the eggs she would willingly scootche a little nod let me check the eggs for any signs of hatching. Your'e hen is probably a very good and protective mother, but she will probably eventually get used to you. :)
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom