Random quail death?

Babyquail

Chirping
Aug 17, 2021
Kentucky
This is the 3rd time, and one of the times was with quail from a completely different seller, that I have randomly found a dead quail. The one today was in the outside part of the coop (which is odd because it’s cold and the other 36 stay inside for warmth) and was just lying dead. Food and water is fine, all of them seemed healthy. They are about 4 months old but no eggs because of the cold.Only thing I can see is a few shivering a bit but I was told it’s not cold enough (I’m in Kentucky so it only gets below freezing every once in a while) to do anything. Any ideas on what happed and what I can do in the future? The other two that died happened when they were young and first going outside, but this one worries me and I don’t want more to die.

Coturnix can handle very cold weather as long as they are dry, out of the wind, and have a place where they can at least keep their feet warm.

It sounds like your lone one may have died from cold if it didn't get in with the others. This is just a guess, however. Can you post pictures of your setup? What are you feeding them?

Back
Top Bottom