Random Questions about mandarin ducks

AliciaM

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Yelm Washington
Has anyone used anything other than wood to make nest boxes? Not for wild flocks, but for my own aviary.

Also. For Mandarins, I have 1 white boy, 1 split white boy, and 1 regular colored boy. 3 white girls and 1 normal girl. The all white boy and 1 of the white girls are this years hatch. And the others are from 2013. If I leave them all together, what are my chances of the young white male breeding with one of the others? Or will the older boys keep him away from the girls? I can split them up if need be.

All of my duck nest boxes are made out of wood.

To answer your questions better, do you not want the white drake to breed? Or are you concerned he will not since he is younger? I added five 2014 hatch drakes to my group of breeder mandarins and they are all colored up and paired up, so they will all be breeding by pairs most of the time. I do have males that on occasion get frisky and mate with other hens. This was more common last year when I had extra hens that were unpaired. Keep in mind that your birds may also trio in which a drake has two hens paired up with him.

I do want the white drake to breed. Im just slightly concerned he will be pushed aside in favor of the older drakes by the girls. I do think one of the other older drakes is trio'd up with 2 of the white hens.... What I WANT is white babies... So im thinking of splitting everyone up and leaving all the whites and the split white drake together and the regular pair with my wood ducks.

Okay I understand what you are wanting now. I on occasion separate birds if they are not paired up correctly as far as colors go. If you are sure the regular drake is paired up with both of the white hens and you can separate the regular pair, then by all means do so soon so that your birds have time to re-pair.

Back
Top Bottom