Random Ramblings

How are your chickens laying? Mine are doing fair. The best layers right now are my Rhode Island Whites followed by my White Leghorns. My pullets are laying pretty well but again it's the Rhode Island Whites followed by my White Leghorns with an occasional eggs from my Reds. Getting ready to do some holiday baking. I hope everyone is staying safe and having a great day...

How are your chickens laying? Mine are doing fair. The best layers right now are my Rhode Island Whites followed by my White Leghorns. My pullets are laying pretty well but again it's the Rhode Island Whites followed by my White Leghorns with an occasional eggs from my Reds. Getting ready to do some holiday baking. I hope everyone is staying safe and having a great day...
Out of my year-old 5-member flock, only the CA White is still laying right now. I am still getting a few quail eggs from my 5 female quail, but now nearly as many as in warmer months.

It's good to ramble where you can ramble about anything. Now and then I have a thought and I don't know where is a good place to put it. Everyone is different so there are many different thought and points of view. It's good to share one's viewpoint. Can't think of much right now. I'm going to do my first telehealth with my doctor this week.

Mine are doing alright, I'm only getting 1-2 eggs a day, though I only have 5 chickens. I have a Rhode Island White too, love her, she's super smart, got a RIR too, she's super affectionate ❤

I had a cross beak Rhode Island Red. She was special. All of the other birds eat pellets but because she had a cross beak she ate crumbles. I had her for 3 years. I let her out one day while I was outside working and was distracted and a fox took her. I never had a bird like her prior nor since. I really don't think chickens are very smart they are routine birds they like routines. Gladys was different I even named her. I have a lot of birds. She would come when called, loved to be held, very different than the others. I did have to trim her beak now and then. When she didn't come when I called I knew something was wrong. I went looking for her and found a trail of feathers. I never did find her. I cried like a baby. If only I had put her in her pen.

I had a cross beak Rhode Island Red. She was special. All of the other birds eat pellets but because she had a cross beak she ate crumbles. I had her for 3 years. I let her out one day while I was outside working and was distracted and a fox took her. I never had a bird like her prior nor since. I really don't think chickens are very smart they are routine birds they like routines. Gladys was different I even named her. I have a lot of birds. She would come when called, loved to be held, very different than the others. I did have to trim her beak now and then. When she didn't come when I called I knew something was wrong. I went looking for her and found a trail of feathers. I never did find her. I cried like a baby. If only I had put her in her pen.
I'm so sorry to hear about that :hugs I think we have all will have that one chicken special to our hearts, that we will never forget. One of my first chickens was a RIR, I loved her so much, the day she died, when digging somewhere to bury her, not-kidding we found this rock shaped like a heart, and than after we had buried her my dad pointed out that there was a rainbow in the sky, that was years ago, but I still remember it exactly, it was a gift from God for sure.

I recently bought a new and a very strong fence charger, anything that touches it will hurt for a couple of days. Most just give a shock but I wanted to replace the one on my main coops, so I bought a 50 mile 6.5 joule fence charger with a voltage display. The one I had on the main coops is going on my chick/grow-out coop and pens It's a 25 mile 1 joule fence charger. It can be felt and will give a zap. The one in the chick/grow-out coop is a 10 mile .5 joule charger. Feels like a bee sting. I haven't accidentally touched the wires yet with the new charger and hope I don't. I do use the poly rope wire because it's easy to see. In the spring is usually when a predator will test the wires. I think that some of the adult predators teach the young to stay away, that no chicken is worth getting zapped.

Back
Top Bottom