Random Turkey showed up...

Is this normal for turkeys? I mean I have never been around a turkey ever. Are they sweet? Trusting? Like she seriously was crying to come in our barn the first morning and hasn’t left. She has freedom to not return if she didn’t want to but she never goes far unless it’s to follow us. She actually loves sitting with my broody hen and her babies.
Yes, it can be totally normal for a socialized hen to be that friendly.
Mine barks like a dog and follows me around when she isn’t off laying.
Hanging out with me gardening.
08F1AFE7-F29F-4234-81F1-9E29246F4B29.jpeg
12990F24-56DC-4B81-967C-8F53036620B1.jpeg

Sitting with me while I take pictures of the birds.
68B85AFD-3CB2-4B78-B0B1-47F3506D7A6F.jpeg

She is such a darling. Turkey hens are the best🥰

She’s so pretty! Wow thanks! I didn’t know that. She just seems so different than my chickens. They only like me because I feed them! 😂 So when you say she lays does she go to the coop like the chickens do or will she head to the woods or some place secluded to do that?

How did it go with the neighbors?

She looks like my young artisan gold poults. I’d guess she’s that or black Spanish. I just don’t know if black Spanish have white on them.
Im no expert.

She sounds like a real doll🙂 Being that friendly I’d imagine someone is missing her.
It is a mixed variety. Artisan Gold is just a brand name to make you think their Black turkeys are special. They are not, they are just black turkeys which is also what Spanish Black turkeys are also. Both are just black turkeys.

It is a mixed variety. Artisan Gold is just a brand name to make you think their Black turkeys are special. They are not, they are just black turkeys which is also what Spanish Black turkeys are also. Both are just black turkeys.
Is it true they are black Spanish x bbb mixed?
I got them because I figured they were black Spanish and that’s what I wanted last year but the hatchery I ordered from didn’t send any😕
The feed store had them marked as artisan gold and google is what said it was a mix. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Or are both just considered marketing names and a black turkey is just that, a black turkey regardless of the name it is given.

Hello! I had a random turkey show up at my place today and she is super friendly even more than my own chickens. Can anyone shed any light as to what she is or even if she is a she. We have never had turkey and any advice is great. I have about 40 chicken currently and two goats who all share the same pen but the chicken free range on over 20 acres. Can I keep everyone all together and live in peace?
Female it looks.

She’s so pretty! Wow thanks! I didn’t know that. She just seems so different than my chickens. They only like me because I feed them! 😂 So when you say she lays does she go to the coop like the chickens do or will she head to the woods or some place secluded to do that?
She lays in the woods. I wish she’d lay in the coop. My guineas have finally started laying in the coop, but she prefers the woods.

Is it true they are black Spanish x bbb mixed?
I got them because I figured they were black Spanish and that’s what I wanted last year but the hatchery I ordered from didn’t send any😕
The feed store had them marked as artisan gold and google is what said it was a mix. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Or are both just considered marketing names and a black turkey is just that, a black turkey regardless of the name it is given.
From the research I did when the Artisan Golds first came out, it is just a brand name for a heritage Black turkey.

Once upon a time there were Spanish Black turkeys. They were named that because of where they were developed and raised in Spain. Other than the location, they were no different than the Norfolk Blacks which were so named because of where they were developed and raised. There is at least on hatchery taking advantage of people by selling "Spanish Blacks" which are nothing more than black turkeys and may even be blacks that happen from breeding Blue Slates together.

The APA only recognizes the variety Black when it comes to black turkeys.

Hi guys! I wanted to give you a little update in to how things have gone with RT (random turkey). She has definitely made herself at home. RT is the neighborhoods pet turkey. I only have two neighbors so she visits them begging frequently. She follows everyone around but I am definitely her favorite. Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Early on she got in with our goats and got impaled. It was really bad for awhile but she has since pulled though. I thing someone gave her to me at a time when I needed the extra love. I didn’t need the extra work or worry but she has definitely been a joy to have. (My father caught covid at Christmas and the morning in May when she showed up was my dads first doctors appointment when we were forced to bring him. Long story... but he’s doing much better and has started walking with a cane.) So she’s been something to take my mind of things. Here are a few pictures to show how much she is involved in our daily lives. It’s crazy!!
She ran with my son learning to ride all day
2E70968C-4DCD-4148-A7D7-3061C1CD12E8.jpeg

47808416-45F4-47AB-BD9D-1BF2F86E5BC8.jpeg

peering in begging. Yelling at me cause I was ignoring her
0AD01323-D94D-4599-9D05-48C467E565F2.jpeg

hopped all the way up my deck to be with us. So of course I had to feed her.
3E75527E-0C3C-47CB-AAA3-D1DD57263A73.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom