randy young roosters... jeez!!!

Christie Rhae

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Big Island, Hawaii
I have had hens for a while but this is my first year with roosters. My two cockerels are 5 1/2 months old.

And all I can say is "oh brother!!"

I have a pen that a group of 4 chicks were growing up in. They are all about 5 1/2 months old. Two cockerels and two pullets. The two cockerels must be a little more advanced than the girls. They just would not leave the girls alone! Stalking them all day. And the girls are totally not into it. They make this terrible scream noise when the boys grab them. Sheesh! It was stressing me and my husband out seeing the girls so stressed out.

So we decided to do a little coop shuffling last night after the chickens went to bed. I have 4 mature hens who are all through with their molt and their winter break and I cannot even walk past their coop without them squatting down.
roll.png
I decided to move the two boys out of the pen and let them finish maturing on their own and put the 4 hens in with the 2 pullets.

So last night we went out, I grabbed the four hens and put them in the pen with the younger birds. Then I grabbed the 2 cockerels and put them into the pen that my 4 hens had been in. Well in that short time it took to move them those boys jumped off their roost and jumped on those hens in the dark! You cannot even look at those hens without them squatting so they did not protest at all. lol! But I did get the boys out of that pen cuz the pen is really only comfortable for 6 birds not 8. I guess I could have put the two boys in with the 4 mature hens and kept the pullets by themselves but oh well.
hu.gif

So this is my intro into the world of Roosters and hens... Sheesh those boys are eager! I wonder if roosters are always like that or is it just cuz they are young?

Quote:
Both.
lau.gif

They do settle down after a few months, but are still very "active" as grown up roosters. My dominant roo always waits just outside the pop door and jumps about every third hen exiting the coop. He'd mount every one if they didn't move so fast whilst he is busy with one!

Once they mature, they are less interested in chasing down and raping every female; a gentleman roo will "ask" for compliance with a little Rooster Wing Dance of Love. If the gal disagrees, he'll just ask the next favorite.

The most submissive gals get tagged a lot. I can tell the hussies in my flock by the small patch of back feathers missing....

Well those boys are in a bachelor pad for now. We will not have any unauthorized shenanigans going on around here.
gig.gif

I have a feeling this is going to be an ongoing issue. I have a group of 8 four months old chicks and guess what.. 5 are cockerels! When they start harassing the 3 girls in there then it is gonna be bachelor pad for them too.
And I have 7 new marans chicks... from my best guess I think I have 5 cockerels in there.
barnie.gif

I think we should have a sign made... The Randy Rooster Ranch.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom