Rant on Fast Food Rocket Scientists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
because i am a dope here..is that alot for a teacher or not?...just wondering...

No no you're no dope, just prorate her salary and basically double it based on a 180 day shool year. So yes - she's really in a $160,00 dollar salary range based on a 365 day year.

Phyllis

Quote:
Wow, I must have had too much wine tonight and it's early! I don't understand what you mean here--can you translate?

Surely!

My earlier post about how physically disciplining a child lead in my case to active revulsion and hate was in response to folks talking about how physical discipline of children works well for them (or has in the past, or whatever).

The paragraph you quote came from a post which was entirely based around the theme "informed decisions are good".

So I refer to the revulsion/hate in the paragraph you quoted in the theme of 'informed decisions are good'. That is: it might help parents who are considering or are actively disciplining their children physically to hear a point of view from a child who was on the other end of the discipline. Getting more information = informed decision. Informed decisions are good. I offered info.

The last full sentence of the paragraph you quoted can be unpacked as:
Dogs, when beaten, do not generally improve.
Neither do kids, in general, in my opinion.
Beaten dogs do not affect your life very much.
Whereas beaten children are very likely to affect your life.
Especially as they may make choices for you when you are unable to.
Therefore, beating a child may 1) not be effective and 2) negatively affect your end-of-life experience.

Erm. And folks, if you want good service, go somewhere and pay for it.

If you're gonna be cheap, guess what? You get what you pay for.

The paragraph you quote came from a post which was entirely based around the theme "informed decisions are good".

So I refer to the revulsion/hate in the paragraph you quoted in the theme of 'informed decisions are good'. That is: it might help parents who are considering or are actively disciplining their children physically to hear a point of view from a child who was on the other end of the discipline. Getting more information = informed decision. Informed decisions are good. I offered info.

Ah. Okay, that makes sense. I can see where you're coming from, especially given what you said about your childhood. But like I said, I think a child who is *spanked*, not *beaten*, knows the difference. I certainly did. Of course, IMHO, if you do spank, it should be only one component of a spectrum of discipline, and should be reserved for pretty serious offenses. And by the time a kid is seven or eight or so, spanking is usually no longer effective unless it does escalate to a beating, which is unacceptable.​

This rant is starting to get confrontational, sort wish I hadn't started it. I sorted wish I hadn't spouted off. Why don't we all agree to disagree and let it drop.

Last edited:
Quote:
Whoa - edited to add that I just read about the $80,000. That does seem high for 17 years. I have never heard of a teacher earning that, is it in SanFran with it's really high cost of living? Most I know with 17 years in are in the 40's or really low 50 range. ---

The math is a bit fuzzy here. These numbers assume a 7 day work week comparison. In reality if their salary were spread out over a year, it would be 93,000. Not bad, but not a lot for a well trained professional at the top of their earning potential. The teachers earning
that salary are the few and would have 40 years in if they are at the top tier. 40 years teaching, they deserve a medal on top of that 65K. Also, this assumes that they only work the days that students are attending? Again, from my time teaching they were there at minimum a week before and after the kids, often 2 weeks. When I lived in CA, a friend was a new teacher and was shocked to find that a huge chunk of his meager paycheck was automatically taken out to put into his pension. He had no choice about it coming out. Often times this is the case with thesebpension plans, they are employee funded. My father spent 20 years in the military and gets a small pension and medical for himself and my
mother for his public service, in my opinion teaching is a public service and those teachers have earned their pensions after 30-40 years of service. That being said, I know the public education system is messy at best (most teachers would be first in line to tell you this). Where we used to live in CA we homeschooler for several years. We chose to do this because our children were not being served socially or academically. My sons are both considered TAG (talented and gifted). So, they are bright and creative. This set them apart in school, they were picked on as well as being bored in class. Since we moved here we have had the kids in public school and they have thrived. There are huge differences in our schools here versus where we were. For starters, 25 percent of the students here are TAG compared to 8 percent state wide. That means we have a lot of bright, creative, nerdy kids here, so mine fit right in. Also, having so many TAG kids forces the schools to cater to their needs as well as others. TAG kids drop out of school at amazingly high rates, so it's extremely important to engage them. One of our other strengths is having educated, involved parents. Parents that value education is one of the biggest contributing factors to success. We also have trades in our high schools, recognizing the values in working with your hands. In my son's woods class his teacher once told them that even if they don't get into a trade, they will most likely own a house and the skills they are learning will come in handy. He's totally right. That takes me to another factor in our success, enthusiastic teachers. We have more than our fair share of them here, and I am grateful for that. It's in part due to the community support our schools enjoy, we are able to attract and retain some amazingly dedicated people. I know that my sons' school experiences are out of the norm, we've been on the other side of it. I know that I am a bit defensive of teachers, but it's from seeing so many here work so hard to give my kids a positive experience. Is it perfect? No, it gets boring at times and school is school, but it's amazingly better to what we left and to what I had. We are lucky, and I absolutely realize that not everyone has such strong schools available to them.

Last edited:
Will do. I posted my last massive rant before seeing his post. Sorry Opa. Though for such a contentious issue with strong feelings on all sides methinks we did pretty well keeping it civil, yay!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom