Rapid/labored breathing while roosting?

lichenthrope

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Hey all,

Hopefully I'm being an overly paranoid papa, but my partner pointed out one of our girls has been breathing a little strangely/rapidly on the roost the past couple nights, so I wanted to see if anyone here might have insight into what might be going on.

She's had some trouble with a chronic dirty butt, but no other discernible symptoms, and her egg production appears fine.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, we’re still pretty new to this so any little change in behavior tends to set off alarm bells.

This has been going on the past 3 nights, but then every day she’s out and about, acting totally normal, same as her flock mates. I make sure they have fresh water each day, and for the past two days I’ve given them Greek yogurt mixed with a bit of their feed, and she scarfs that down in a hurry.

I'm sorry it's me then, I'm not a pro. I still might be able to help though.
I have one chicken, Fluffball, that tends to eat herself sick. She'll eat and eat and eat, and then sit somewhere making gagging (which sound like gasping) sounds.
I don't think it's that though, because it's been going on fairly steady.
If she is fine during the day I wouldn't be too concerned, but I will do more looking and get back to you as soon as I can.
I wish you the best of luck.

Pro or not, your input is greatly appreciated! Having a camera in the coop makes it easy to fixate on every little thing, but you're right: She was her usual active, vocal, amusingly pushy self today (she really earns the name Sassy), so we'll keep an eye on her, but I'm breathing easier. Thank you again!

We're up in the pacific northwest so it's been in the low 40s at night for a little while now.

I went through last night's video, and she spent a good amount of time with her head tucked, which she hadn't been doing since this started. Also, the couple times she stood up to stretch her breathing immediately went back to normal, which was interesting.

Back
Top Bottom