Rapidly deteriorating chicken

zivaC

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Hey everyone,

I know this is a thread for currently sick chickens.... And I didn't know where else to post... I had a sick chicken, who unfortunately passed away so quick before I even had the chance to take her to the vet :'( now I am grieving for her, she was a special chicken to me and I don't understand what happened to her...
She became a bit slow in the last week, but she was still eating until 2 days ago where she had the classic feathers fluffed up and sleeping in the corner. I immediately removed her from the flock and put her in chicken sick bay....she didnt have any symptoms other than lethargy, weakness, and lack of eating. The one time I saw her poop, it was normal-ish coloured except I noticed a bit of red pieces in it. It didnt seem like blood but it was more like pieces of something, and it wasnt blood red but a fainter red. I thought it might be coccidiosis so I started her on Sulfa 3 antibiotics in water before I would take her to the vet the next day.
The next day her comb started shrinking and turning purple and she was hardly opening her eyes or responding so I syringed water down her beak to hydrate her.
She died later that day :( and I had an appointment for her with the vet in the afternoon :'( I don't know what happened and I feel so guilty I couldn't help her or make it better for her :( I am grieving for my girl....she loved me and always followed me and wanted me to carry her....
Now I'm afraid I won't know what killed her and if she may have spread anything to the others....I don't know what to do :'(

Sorry for the rant, I'm just so upset now and I don't know where else I can vent :(

Sounds like cocci to me. The definitive answer would be from a necropsy.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's sad and frustrating when you lose one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom