Rare Poultry Enthusiast Thread

McCormack Farms

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Northern IL
I have been seeing many threads that specialize in one ultra-rare breed or another, and just wanted to make a place where we can all talk about our own breeds and what's so unique about them all in one place. Even if you don't currently own any especially rare birds, you're still more than welcome to discuss what you are interested in! This is a thread to talk about all things concerning the preservation and continuation of some of the rarest poultry left on the planet.

Be sure to include a little history if you can on the birds if you can, possibly its origin, and most of all have have fun in the process!
*Feathersite can also help your research.

The Ayam Cemani-
A black chicken. A chicken so black that the pigment goes down through the skin, though the meat, and even into the bone itself. It was imported by Greenfire Farms recently, last year I believe. It is highly valued in Indonesia, thought to possess mystical powers.

Pictures:

I will be getting isbars and legbars in the near future and I have one lone Dwarf Olandsk chick living with a surrogate silkie mama at a friends house. My other breeds aren't nearly as rare, well I have Welsh Harelquin ducks which aren't common.

Looking forward to seeing rare breeds on this thread.

Yes, Isbars and Legbars are very nice birds, love their egg color!

The Hesbaye:
Critical, even in its home country. Few breeders are known in Belgium, the breed is unknown outside the country. They are active and can fly well. Almost nothing is known about their origin. I hope they are imported soon, else the breed could be lost forever.

The Appenzeller Barthuhner:
This is one of the breeds which I currently own. They are active birds and lay well. The rooster quite large compared to the female when full grown. They are well adapted to the cold with bearded faced and a very small comb.

I will take more recent pictures soon.

Does any one know if the Yamato Gunkie have been imported by GFF... I heard something about it in Facebook but cannot find anything. They are nonexistent in the US, but do exist in Europe as well as Japan( which is where it originated).

Does any one know if the Yamato Gunkie have been imported by GFF... I heard something about it in Facebook but cannot find anything. They are nonexistent in the US, but do exist in Europe as well as Japan( which is where it originated).
Yes. Feathersite confirms it (note the photo courtesies)

They look to be a very showy, interesting breed, though I'm not sure how practical it would be for eggs. Meat production might be good based on the description, though there is not much specifically on that.

Great find!

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Yamato/BRKYamato.html

Back
Top Bottom