Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Quote:
You forgot Houdans and just about all Oriental Gamefowl.
wink.png

Thanks BBB.........I was waiting for someone to say Ohiki...........................Chrisf

Quote:
Wow what a statement Illia. I like that not for conseration.

I had a stain of White Rock Large Fowl that I line breed for twenty years and decided to get rid of them. I left my pen door open one night and for got to close the gate. Foxes went in and killed all three of my males. Then a few days latter I get a email from a fellow who wants white rocks. I got the females to him and a spare male I farmed out was so poor in health he died. I had no males. I had given a guy in Penn a male and had to send a box to him pay the shipping to get the male back to breed with these old hens.

It was worth it as we got 45 chicks from these old birds and now have three males and the old cock bird and plenty of females.

You just never know. My mom use to say you never miss the water till the well goes dry. More studid stores but this will do.
bob

Do you have any rosecomb RIR's? My great-grandfather bred SC RIR (in Burien) and had them for years & years (like he lived to be 106 years old and he moved to his place at the age of 11 from England), grew up there, inherited it when his parents passed and lived there for a long, long time. When he came to live with my grandmother, he sold all of his RIR that he'd had for 85+ years...I wish I knew what happened to those birds. My grandma says that they were HUGE, dark and mean! LOL I'm in Okanogan, Washington so I would want rosecomb just because we get so darn cold here...and my single comb birds suffer because of it...

I know folks who have Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds there are very rare only maybe 75 alive in the USA today in the winter. What was the first and last name of your Grand Father? Did you say he was from Burien? Is that in Washington state?

I knew a lot of the old breeders who had Reds and who where in the Rhode Island Red Club. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421715&p=2

Bob
born and raised in Centralia Washington

Last edited:
Quote:
You forgot Houdans and just about all Oriental Gamefowl.
wink.png

smile.png

Yeah, I just got this new book on Rare Chicken Breeds/varieties. I just posted the breeds that [according to the book] are not available in the U.S.

Quote:
Ah, then the book is clearly wrong, because putting hatcheries aside, there's a Crevecoeur breeder here that just posted a little while ago, there's some Redcap breeders apparently who attended the Ohio National, and there's a white La Fleche breeder (a color I never even thought existed) in WA, according to the NPIP list.

Quote:
I wouldn't call Silkied Ameraucanas a breed, but yes, those are freaky rare.

Only ever saw ONE person post a photo of their own birds from the U.S.

'Tis why I mentioned Oriental Gamefowl, and I think those sort of can fit in there too.

Quote:
Ah, then the book is clearly wrong, because putting hatcheries aside, there's a Crevecoeur breeder here that just posted a little while ago, there's some Redcap breeders apparently who attended the Ohio National, and there's a white La Fleche breeder (a color I never even thought existed) in WA, according to the NPIP list.

I know someone who has La Fleche in several colors both in large and bantam sizes...and he also has Creve bantam varieties are Black, Blue, Splash, and White.
smile.png

Quote:

I know someone who has La Fleche in several colors both in large and bantam sizes...and he also has Creve bantam varieties are Black, Blue, Splash, and White.
smile.png

Oh you strike my interest greatly.
smile.png

If you say he's got barred La Fleche I'm gonna faint. . . When I found out that color exists outside the US, I was thinking "WHAT? no way!" I thought they just came in white, black, and. . . . I think blue/splash?

Back
Top Bottom